Reintroducing microfauna to salt tank

erm0715

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to reintroduce microfauna to a tank? I've seen things mentioned as detritovore packs when I've searched forums but haven't seen any for sale on the typical online marketplaces?

Long story short (I posted about this months ago) but I zeroed out and had Dino's take over several months ago. I got the dino's under control but the havoc after destroyed most everything followed by a massive ammonia spike, GHA explosion and after a while a nitrate burst. The last recommendations I received online were to tear down and start from scratch, but I ended up doing many water changes, reintroducing bacteria in a bottle and after a while the parameters came back in line. I've repopulated the tank with fish and soft coral over time. The one thing I've noticed after a local forum member was looking for asterin's (I know, pest) for a harlequin shrimp was that I hadn't seen any after the dino outbreak, nor any pods, microfauna in general...the stuff you look at at night and say, that looks weird. I know there's benefits to having the microfauna diversity and population for the sandbed, breaking down detritus etc. so I'd like to reestablish the population and diversity. I've purchased live rock rubble (placed in sump) and a bottle of tiger pods from LFS to help jumpstart this. Any recommendations or places online that would sale the typical biodiversity you'd expect to see in an established reef tank?

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to reintroduce microfauna to a tank? I've seen things mentioned as detritovore packs when I've searched forums but haven't seen any for sale on the typical online marketplaces?

Long story short (I posted about this months ago) but I zeroed out and had Dino's take over several months ago. I got the dino's under control but the havoc after destroyed most everything followed by a massive ammonia spike, GHA explosion and after a while a nitrate burst. The last recommendations I received online were to tear down and start from scratch, but I ended up doing many water changes, reintroducing bacteria in a bottle and after a while the parameters came back in line. I've repopulated the tank with fish and soft coral over time. The one thing I've noticed after a local forum member was looking for asterin's (I know, pest) for a harlequin shrimp was that I hadn't seen any after the dino outbreak, nor any pods, microfauna in general...the stuff you look at at night and say, that looks weird. I know there's benefits to having the microfauna diversity and population for the sandbed, breaking down detritus etc. so I'd like to reestablish the population and diversity. I've purchased live rock rubble (placed in sump) and a bottle of tiger pods from LFS to help jumpstart this. Any recommendations or places online that would sale the typical biodiversity you'd expect to see in an established reef tank?

Thanks!
All that stuff will likely come back in time because you probably just reduced their numbers. Adding live stock will reintroduce all sorts of things. Save your money and wait for the comeback is an approach I would take.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back