Relationship between ORP and UV

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers :)

I have noticed that every time I stop my UV sterilizer, the ORP goes up- and drops again once the UV is back online.

Can anyone help me clarify the relationship between those two- and why my UV affects the ORP?

I switch off my UV twice a day for 10 days to medicate using PolypLap Medic.

Cheers!

uv_orp.JPG

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the UV is killing the bacteria, which makes them spill their low ORP guts.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the UV is killing the bacteria, which makes them spill their low ORP guts.
That is a good observation; way better than the million possible reasons I had in my head for sure! :D

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no ozone, I might guess electrical interference?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its electrical interference from the ballast. It will also make your ph jump up/down. You can try to isolate your probes or at the very least make sure they're routed away from 120v. im having the same issue too. Now im building an isolation box for all my probes.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for sure! Might have a move around of sorts if i can..

I have not noticed any swings in PH but I will keep an eye out for that for sure!

How are you going about isolating yours? :) Mine are sitting in the return pump chamber with the cables running in the back of the tank. Not much else is routed that way..

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for sure! Might have a move around of sorts if i can..

I have not noticed any swings in PH but I will keep an eye out for that for sure!

How are you going about isolating yours? :) Mine are sitting in the return pump chamber with the cables running in the back of the tank. Not much else is routed that way..
I went a bit crazy, lol. Routed all Ph/Orp probes separately, shielded all the cables with copper braided sleeving EMI shielding Wire Mesh and isolated all the probes from the tank using an acrylic box….i drip tank water fed from my tank manifold to get readings. Seems to be working.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went a bit crazy, lol. Routed all Ph/Orp probes separately, shielded all the cables with copper braided sleeving EMI shielding Wire Mesh and isolated all the probes from the tank using an acrylic box….i drip tank water fed from my tank manifold to get readings. Seems to be working.
Mate, if something is worth doing- it's worth overdoing! :D Oh... and pictures please! ;)

Will be redoing my complete cabinet and have everything mounted out of the cabinet soon! That includes re-routing of all cables so might be something to think about..

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back