Relatively new reefer

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been reefing for a year now and it’s been a rollercoaster to say the least. First six months were great, last six months have been a headache. I’m not giving up though, and I created this account to learn as much as possible. My tank seems to be finally taking a turn for the better and my goal is to keep it that way. Attached are a couple of photos of where I stand today. Still dealing with this weird algae but overall much better than a month ago. Any tips or tricks are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

IMG_0007.jpeg IMG_0666.jpeg IMG_0669.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

regarding your algae, i noticed different colored/shaded rocks. are some dry? are some live? or were all the rock dry or live when you started to cycle?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FloridaReefer2023

FloridaReefer2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

regarding your algae, i noticed different colored/shaded rocks. are some dry? are some live? or were all the rock dry or live when you started to cycle?
About half were live rock and half dry. They were all introduced at the same time, about a year ago.

Tha Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I’ve been reefing for a year now and it’s been a rollercoaster to say the least. First six months were great, last six months have been a headache. I’m not giving up though, and I created this account to learn as much as possible. My tank seems to be finally taking a turn for the better and my goal is to keep it that way. Attached are a couple of photos of where I stand today. Still dealing with this weird algae but overall much better than a month ago. Any tips or tricks are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

IMG_0007.jpeg IMG_0666.jpeg IMG_0669.jpeg
New reefer here too. Some of the best advice I have got so far is keep up on water changes and do not make big changes fast but over a period of time. A good routine to check parameters and make a note of them. Once a week. A good diverse mix of a clean up crew. Cleaner ship. Emerald crabs and some pods. I would check out algae barn for some galaxy pods and then some good bacteria like pink or purple coralline algae which says should help with some nuisance algae. Good luck ! https://www.algaebarn.com/

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back