themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have been studying this particular condition Dan since 2015 above

it is prevented by cleaning deeper than we have ever been permitted to clean right when your reef is taken apart for the move; ironically that's the only safe way to deal with stored up nutrients, by a form of reef aquarium surgery. the cloud at the start was the killer.

all new water -cleaned rocks free of detritus- will transfer with zero cloud and then it will not have to be redone. the larger the tank, the more important a totally cloudless start is since re accessing everything is so hard and costly. price of big reefing though. you will never have it happen again though if you'll apply procedure from the sand rinse thread, not ever again in any size tank.
I appreciate all this advice, but I am afraid it is too late. I've already lost about everything. I have just a handful of coral left, they are doing terrible. My fish are all sick, I'd be surprised if they survived the day. I am dealing with all sorts of bacteria issues, disease, ammonia spike, I've never been in this situation.

As some who know me on here, I have always had an amazing tank. I think I tend to give others great advice and am very helpful....Now I am just lost on what to do.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how it feels but only on a smaller scale/my first reefbowl died and I got mad and refused to comply with any reefing rules going forward hence all the rebel rinsing. large tanks are respectably so hard to work on and work with/the new tank can benefit from the science and it'll never happen again.

**your rocks can be reused, and saved, that can reduce startover costs bigtime. wanna fix em up/get em ready for a new reef/they'll be algae and detritus free and already be 100% cycled for the new tank

we could also just convert that big boy to a huge walstad planted tank and you'll never have to shoot co2 into it and it'll grow plants for a hundred years.

if you want to continue reefing we should re harvest and guide the rocks back that w save so much work and new cost

they can be prepped for re use even in the current condition without the full water change. we would be killing algae externally and keeping them in the water just to keep bac alive. or you can remove them and cure back out in brute containers too

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will figure this out, and rebuild like I have said before. My current plan to keep things simple and consistent will remain. It just sucks, thats all.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To complicate matters, I believe my female clown has ich. Tough to get a clear photo through the cloudiness.
14CC1EC0-C817-4907-9A86-DAC8DFF2E597.jpeg
A0DE326B-B5DB-43F8-AAF7-DE0A41079FFB.jpeg
My clown seems to be in good spirits as of last night, She ate frozen real well. Was very active. This was encouraging.

All other fish seem to be doing pretty well and ate good.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet have a good chance of recovering since they’re acclimated to that system and feed regimen. Would you consider re fallowing this tank in order to really hammer against future disease

what are your plans to get the waste out, the clouding portions they feed the algae portion. Some dedicated hand cleaning and partial water changes can help, even without a full rebuild it’ll just take a year or two vs one weekend to turn around.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet have a good chance of recovering since they’re acclimated to that system and feed regimen. Would you consider re fallowing this tank in order to really hammer against future disease

what are your plans to get the waste out, the clouding portions they feed the algae portion. Some dedicated hand cleaning and partial water changes can help, even without a full rebuild it’ll just take a year or two vs one weekend to turn around.

I have had some doubts but still remain confident I can bounce back. I don't want to go fallow. Blowing the rock, siphoning the dead waste, followed immediately after is a 30 gallon water changes. Will do so every other day until things return to normal. I don't think it will take a year or two to recover.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider running a diatom filter for a few hours. Look at Paul B's tank thread, he uses one every once in a while to just scrub the water quickly. Might be an option to help clear up the water column without the impact of water changes, or the cost. Hang in there, it will improve.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider running a diatom filter for a few hours. Look at Paul B's tank thread, he uses one every once in a while to just scrub the water quickly. Might be an option to help clear up the water column without the impact of water changes, or the cost. Hang in there, it will improve.
Hmmm. Never heard of a diatom filter. @Paul B can you provide any advice with my current situation?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report today. Fish are surviving and eating well, esp my female clown. It's water change wednesday so hopefully it helps a bit with the bloom.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, seems like a life time.

The coral and fish move happened on the week January 13th. . It has only been three weeks. Although it does seem like forever and not much has changed. I don't thin its time to hit the panic button. I need to remain patient and see how my routine plays out.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right seems so long ago.
Is the tank any clearer?
Once again I encourage you to add a UV.
Are you going to introduce BTA again?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right seems so long ago.
Is the tank any clearer?
Once again I encourage you to add a UV.
Are you going to introduce BTA again?
Right.
Tank isnt any clearer. I am going to start running carbon again I think.
Ugh I want to but money is strapped with Haisley arriving in a couple months and remodeling the old fish room to her room.
Yes. I still have a handful of very bleached RBTA in the tank currently. A friend of mine said he would help restock my tank when I get things under control. This will include adding more BTA.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely run carbon. There are also water clarity products at big box pet stores I have used them with mixed success.
Man your plate if full. Congrats

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a father and grandfather I applaud your actions. Your making your family your first priority, that's why this all started with the move, which is to be commended. Stay patient with the tank, do what you can to move it in the right direction, and it will improve. I hope your wife and new baby will both be healthy and happy in days to come. Hang in there, sometimes this hobby, not to mention being a dad, can be humbling.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely run carbon. There are also water clarity products at big box pet stores I have used them with mixed success.
Man your plate if full. Congrats
As a father and grandfather I applaud your actions. Your making your family your first priority, that's why this all started with the move, which is to be commended. Stay patient with the tank, do what you can to move it in the right direction, and it will improve. I hope your wife and new baby will both be healthy and happy in days to come. Hang in there, sometimes this hobby, not to mention being a dad, can be humbling.
So excited to be a dad. As for the tank, it will turn around, not the first or last time it has had its struggles. Appreciate all the help and wonderful comments.. Is it April yet?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All righty r2r. I have been in Arkansas since Monday for work. I haven’t done anything other then feed thanks to my GF. I thought since letting it go, it would improve. It didn’t. Here’s what it currently looks like. Ugh. What now?
F54121E0-0D66-4BBF-AC66-3F9900E2F258.jpeg
82883B48-43CD-4630-A708-6DBB474212AE.jpeg
E8EB537F-8DFB-4A5F-BE70-8A74B57065EC.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running the lights on a regular schedule, have you tried a blackout? Have you tried any water clarification products or bacteria in a bottle. Can you borrow someones UV.
Uggggg.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back