themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting.
I assume that when, for example, you clean the glass, the algae that gets removed will be sucked into the pump, through the light and exit out the chamber, killing the algae that passes by.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the goal, to get as much as possible of the algae into the UV, filter floss and skimmer. Trying to either kill it or remove it . But all of them require that the algae goes to them, they will not affect algae that is stuck to surfaces. That would have to be chemical and for me that's too risky, jmo.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me radical but I

1. Remove Cyano manually every where in tank.
2. Water change with Chem Clean dose.

Basically I remove to prevent increased die off of Cyano, and then dose with Chem Clean to prevent growth. No follow up water change post treatment.
I remove carbon for few days, and remove skimmer cup.
I probably do this every 2 months.

With that said other measures such as dead zones or elevated nutrients are addressed.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
floss in the drain, in my baffles and before my return.

A1F08E4F-7348-401C-B626-4162F75B7D34.jpeg

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I don't to jump to conclusions. The lights are currently off and we will see how the day goes, but...

I have been running a large amount of filter floss as seen above for two days now. Last night before I went to bed, I cleaned just the front glass. I left the other three panes go. Before leaving for work, the tank appeared more clear then I have seen it in almost two months. Finger crossed this is good news.

BFC2C031-4D72-46CA-A20C-8B3D4C51F4D5.jpeg

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to put a conclusion to this quite yet, but here’s what I learned...

I was in trouble from the time I first took my tank offline a couple months ago. I moved my 75 sumo downstairs but didn’t remove the debris on the bottom of the drain baffle. This is where most my issues reside. When the left the 220 upstairs preparing for the move a week later, I didn’t have enough agitation on the surface of the water and lost all my large fish. That cause me to have an ammonia spike and had act quickly. I didn’t have enough water made. All this lead to the algae bloom. I attempted to try a few things for letting it ride to bidaily water changes. It wasn’t until I added filter floss that I could finally eradicate the bacteria. This was a big time learning experience for me and I want to thank all of r2r for the help.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are things with the tank? Hope all is well regarding the family.
Hey. Appreciate you checking in. Hope all is well on your end. Tank. is doing okay. I haven't been doing much to it. Back to weekly water change wednesday. Still running a small amount of filter floss. Algae is still pretty present, but much better. I am thinking about adding some coral real soon.

We had an ultrasound yesterday. Haisley is in great health, 5.5 lbs. at 34 weeks. As they were doing the ultrasound, I got to see here kick Lindis belly and see her move on the screen. What an amazing experience.

Back