Remineralzation of RoDi for top off.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you supplement your RoDi for fresh top off? What do you use?

you can use top off to deliver something you believe the tank needs, but in general it is intended to replace pure evaporated water so should be pure water.

OP
OP
ChattaBob

ChattaBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use top off to deliver something you believe the tank needs, but in general it is intended to replace pure evaporated water so should be pure water.
I didn’t phrase it right. Do you or anyone add anything like, Replenish, to your Rodi top off container? Or just straight RoDi for daily evaporation?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use straight RODI water for my top offs. Any elemental replenishment is done via water changes. My tank is not grown out to the point yet that I need to dose anything in order to keep it stable. (getting there though lol)

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t phrase it right. Do you or anyone add anything like, Replenish, to your Rodi top off container? Or just straight RoDi for daily evaporation?
Gotcha. Evaporation and consumption are two separate animals. I don’t think anyone here could calculate the amount of any given supplement to be dosed solely based off the evaporation rate of a particular system. If someone here can come up with something, I don’t know that I would recommend it. Who knows though, it could be the next big thing! The exception being kalkwasser as many add that to their ato solution but that isn’t anything like replenish.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Evaporation and consumption are two separate animals. I don’t think anyone here could calculate the amount of any given supplement to be dosed solely based off the evaporation rate of a particular system. If someone here can come up with something, I don’t know that I would recommend it. Who knows though, it could be the next big thing! The exception being kalkwasser as many add that to their ato solution but that isn’t anything like replenish.

Well as Randy said, evaporation is pure water. if anything water lost to evaporation would increase the concentration of the elements left behind. So there would be no need at all to add more of them for a top-off.

Consumption, as you said, is different. I feel it would be better to dose that separately as the top off would be EXTREMELY difficult to get just right.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Products like Replenish and Equilibrium are for remineralizing RO water when used for water changes in freshwater tanks. Even in freshwater tanks you do not remineralize top off water. In a reef you should never remineralize any water unless you are referring to adding saltmix or maybe using kalkwasser to top off.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as Randy said, evaporation is pure water. if anything water lost to evaporation would increase the concentration of the elements left behind. So there would be no need at all to add more of them for a top-off.

Consumption, as you said, is different. I feel it would be better to dose that separately as the top off would be EXTREMELY difficult to get just right.
At first I imagined the op was asking about re mineralization, like when the bottled water companies use rodi to remove minerals from tap water but then add them back for flavor. Then Replenish was mentioned, so I’m now imagining elements/minerals and such that might be consumed? Either case is a hard no for me. As fast as things change in this hobby though, the op might be on to the next trend. I’ve never had a fresh water system so I know nothing about using Replenish.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understood this age old question, and products like that are not ever useful in seawater.

Many folks do add things, like calcium hydroxide, to boost calcium and alkalinity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back