Remote Display Refugium / Heat Sink

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To assist with temperature control during Texas summer, I coupled a 55G tank in my living room with 3ooG system Under the Oaks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
134CE137-F384-49ED-AEC7-F0CA9929C94A.jpeg
B6775755-DD17-43E3-9D80-B89325603F65.jpeg
196A19DA-052A-4D02-9196-5B29B3CD8CEE.jpeg
C8B26C58-92A4-442A-9961-621F3A5B032E.jpeg
@LobsterOfJustice

The outside system consist of 150G display with 150G sump (Rubbermaid tub) buried in the ground for heat sink. Coupled to 150G sump under Oaks is 55G remote display refugium in living room. The 55G tank in house has two 20” fans to maximize evaporative cooling. Moisture evaporated into living room is removed with 1/2 ton dehumidifier, 2 ton mini split heat pump and 4 ton central ac. Outside temperature is 97 degrees with water temperature at 81.3 degrees.

The Yellow Anaconda is 12” duct with 1HP blower.

Other systems outside include five 150G macro/zooplankton grow out tanks coupled to 1200G tank in shade to dampen temperature swings.

The last picture was 10K gallon greenhouse growout system which is being modified to increase system temperature dampening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol this looks like the craziest thing I’ve seen in a while. What exactly are we looking at here?

Since I have moved to Austin, I have learned to embrace the Culture, “KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD”.

In April, after a house concert in my home, we moved outdoors to enjoy some acoustic jamming. Instead of around the campfire, we were in front of the reef tank. I will soon be operating a bed & breakfast with Reef Under the Oaks as a marketing tool.

At 71 years old, I can handle “Weird & Crazy”.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting set up for sure! Untill recently, I've never heard of a tank outside. Still haven't seen many, and this is for sure the largest/most elaborate. I bet water changes are an interesting endevour. I like connecting the refugiums indoors for some cooling during extream heat. Depending on your space inside, you may be able to make a stack of frag tanks, to give lots of surface area for indoor evaporation cooling. Similar to what you have already, but could be 4-5 tanks tall.

how much of a differance does the indoor tanks have on the temp of such a large system outside? After having so much set up to manage temperature, would you do it again? or would you go with a more traditional route of an indoor tank? How do you manage tank temp in the winter?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting set up for sure! Untill recently, I've never heard of a tank outside. Still haven't seen many, and this is for sure the largest/most elaborate. I bet water changes are an interesting endevour. I like connecting the refugiums indoors for some cooling during extream heat. Depending on your space inside, you may be able to make a stack of frag tanks, to give lots of surface area for indoor evaporation cooling. Similar to what you have already, but could be 4-5 tanks tall.

how much of a differance does the indoor tanks have on the temp of such a large system outside? After having so much set up to manage temperature, would you do it again? or would you go with a more traditional route of an indoor tank? How do you manage tank temp in the winter?

Inside living room/ den already has eight glass tanks that are set up. I have growout tanks that are 10 years mature,

At this moment, outside display is 76.4 and inside tank is 75:2

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefs and Geeks

I noticed you are in Pittsburg. If you see Anthony Calfo, tell him his Cajun friend said,
“Laissez la bonne temps roulee”.

With respect to maintaining temperatures in the winter, first & most importantly, strict temperature control is not as important as reef hobiest maintain. Talk with divers that collect for Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf Coast EcoSystem. In February, I had a long conversation about sponges collected by Russ at live_plants. He was not diving that day with water temperature at 47 degrees. I am a macro algae & zooplankton Farm. I have maintained 10K gallons outdoors for sevenl years, probably before AlgaeBarn existed. Note what AlgaeBarn says about shipping temperature for copepods, between 45-90 degrees.

With Reef Under Oaks, I will pamper somewhat. Ground water well in Middle Trinity Aquifer has a temperature of 78 degrees. With a 5HP pump, I can move 25GPM at 60psi. With 500’ of polyhose submerged in 150G sump, I have a powerful heat source if I need it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefs and Geeks

I forgot to address water changes, I don’t change water. I have been doing Triton Method for 35 years, the Chinese for 3000 years.

I rely on biofiltration tripod: algae, bacteria & sponges. Nutrient recycling grows my reef. If I need to export nutrients, I frag & sell coral. No skimmers & no socks. I use a reverse light cycle and allow coral & macro to exchange DOC. I do not carbon dose as defined by hobby forums.

To paraphrase Danna Riddle, carbon dioxide combines with carbonate alkalinity to form bicarbonate Alkalinity, which during photosynthesis forms glucose, which is carbon for the reef,

Occasionally, I use granulated activated carbon.

Last edited:

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing @Subsea , really facinating to see a dedicated hobbyists at work. One of the best posts I have seen in a while. You could sell tickets to tour those sytems, its like a marine manajorie. I often get a little bored of viewing standerdised aquariums. Its such a shame I am in the UK or I would be round with a few bottles of Yorkshires finest Old Peculier to browse your tanks and chat about your methods. Great work, look forward to reading through some of your posts. Best wishes from across the pond.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefs and Geeks

I noticed you are in Pittsburg. If you see Anthony Calfo, tell him his Cajun friend said,
“Laissez la bonne temps roulee”.

With respect to maintaining temperatures in the winter, first & most importantly, strict temperature control is not as important as reef hobbyiest maintain. Talk with divers that collect for Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf Coast EcoSystem. In February, I had a long conversation about sponges collected by Russ at live_plants. He was not diving that day with water temperature at 47 degrees. I am a macro algae & zooplankton Farm. I have maintained 10K gallons outdoors for sevenl years, probably before AlgaeBarn existed. Note what AlgaeBarn says about shipping temperature for copepods, between 45-90 degrees.

With Reef Under Oaks, I will pamper somewhat. Ground water well in Middle Trinity Aquifer has a temperature of 78 degrees. With a 5HP pump, I can move 25GPM at 60psi. With 500’ of polyhose submerged in 150G sump, I have a powerful heat source.

Very nice, it is clearly working very well for you and your system! I've often wondered why many hobbyists try to maintain temps +/- 1 degree. Obviously the ocean fluctuates more than that. Perhaps less temp fluctuation will help maintain a little less stressful environment for fish/coral that have other parameters fluctuating more due to being a smaller captive system. I've never strictly maintained temp, and don't heat my water change water. Just use parasitic pumps and keep any temp fluctuations gradual. Never caused a problem for me at all.

Also pretty awesome to maintain using the triton method. I've played around with the idea of doing that myself, but haven't tried yet on my 150 gallon tank. Upgrades are in progress that should be pushing my system size to closser to 400-500 gallon range. Perhaps it will make more sense for me then.

I can't stop looking at your pictures! love seeing how everything on your system is working. If I were still living in Houston I'd have to try and make a trip out to see it. I'm a bit far away now in Pittsburgh though. I do miss the reef culture from down there. certainly not as big up here.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing @Subsea , really facinating to see a dedicated hobbyists at work. One of the best posts I have seen in a while. You could sell tickets to tour those sytems, its like a marine manajorie. I often get a little bored of viewing standerdised aquariums. Its such a shame I am in the UK or I would be round with a few bottles of Yorkshires finest Old Peculier to browse your tanks and chat about your methods. Great work, look forward to reading through some of your posts. Best wishes from across the pond.

Thank you for the kind words. I have hosted Austin Reef Club frag swaps at AQR which is also my residence. I also host eJammers and Austin songwriter acoustic jam sessions.

Old Peculier sounds like a winner. I worked in the North Sea for a few years during the 80’s and enjoyed the local Pubs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what my house and back yard would look like if it weren't for my wife reigning me in!

When I moved to Austin, 10 years ago, I divorced from a 38 year marriage and I retired from a 35 year career in Deepwater Drilling as a Subsea Engineer in charge of underwater blowout preventor.

No checks & balances. With a compulsive personality, there are no limits.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 3” of rain this afternoon which dropped temperatures, allowing me to turn off 1HP blower. Blower is on a timer to run from 11AM to 9PM, which coincides with high temperature and low (40-60%) humidity. I normally evaporate between 5-10 gallons per day. So today, I did not need to add makeup water.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edwards Plateau was a shallow inland sea 300 million years ago. With limestone bedrock, the mineral content of Trinity Aquifier approaches limewater with a TDS at 1000ppm. These minerals grow macro algae as well as coral.

@Jomama The two big reasons I prefer evaporative cooling to refrigeration chillers: low upfront cost but must importantly, I have no need to dose supplemental minerals to grow coral.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefs and Geeks

I forgot to address water changes, I don’t change water. I have been doing Triton Method for 35 years, the Chinese for 3000 years.

I rely on biofiltration tripod: algae, bacteria & sponges. Nutrient recycling grows my reef. If I need to export nutrients, I frag & sell coral. No skimmers & no socks. I use a reverse light cycle and allow coral & macro to exchange DOC. I do not carbon dose as defined by hobby forums.

To paraphrase Danna Riddle, carbon dioxide combines with carbonate alkalinity to form bicarbonate Alkalinity, which during photosynthesis forms glucose, which is carbon for the reef,

Occasionally, I use granulated activated carbon.
This was an excellent overview of your methods. Thank you.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I've never seen a system quite like yours and I am impressed!
Are you located in Austin (proper) or a little outside the city?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back