carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
3 questions on a remote sump set up.
I’m installing at 1000L (250gal) tank with a fish room/sump about 2m (6 ft) below and 8m (24ft) horizontally from the DT.
The 8m (24ft) of horizontal pipe would only have a vertical drop of 10cm (4”), before getting to sump room and dropping the remaining distance.
3 questions
1) Will this long length of barely sloping pipe cause any long term problems? It will be hidden in a ceiling gap and not be accessible
2) I was going to go with a Bean Animal, as it seemed the best of all options. One of it's main advantage over a Herbie is the reduced noise. Given the sump will be in a remote location from the DT, do I need to go Bean Animal for noise reduction? Is the main noise difference at the sump, or at the DT?
3) Would a Bean Animal even work with a remote sump so far from DT?

I am going for 5 x DT flow rate, so 5000l/hr or ~ 1250 gals/hr

Thanks !

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Don't know why it would. Make sure to calculate head loss for return.
2) The noises are usually the slurping sounds in the overflow/dt.
3) I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

Best of luck with your setup.

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So if the slurping noises are in the DT, then I should stick with the BeanAnimal.
Appreciate the advice.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So if the slurping noises are in the DT, then I should stick with the BeanAnimal.
Appreciate the advice.
I've never used the bean animal myself, just herbie and durso style. Maybe others can chime in on how quiet it really is compared to the others.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the Bean and the Herbie are quiet. The Bean is basically just a Herbie with an additional emergency overflow. As long as you can provide some slope toward the sump on the horizontal run and not create any pockets it should work fine.

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DCR. I think the Bean Animal also helps ensure a siphon is always held if water levels vary. The siphon takes most of the flow, but the additional downflow takes some, but not enough to cause the turbulence and slurping that can happen when a pipe takes too much flow. Any variance in water level is dealt with by the additional downflow. At least that is how I understand it.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
3 questions on a remote sump set up.
I’m installing at 1000L (250gal) tank with a fish room/sump about 2m (6 ft) below and 8m (24ft) horizontally from the DT.
The 8m (24ft) of horizontal pipe would only have a vertical drop of 10cm (4”), before getting to sump room and dropping the remaining distance.
3 questions
1) Will this long length of barely sloping pipe cause any long term problems? It will be hidden in a ceiling gap and not be accessible
2) I was going to go with a Bean Animal, as it seemed the best of all options. One of it's main advantage over a Herbie is the reduced noise. Given the sump will be in a remote location from the DT, do I need to go Bean Animal for noise reduction? Is the main noise difference at the sump, or at the DT?
3) Would a Bean Animal even work with a remote sump so far from DT?

I am going for 5 x DT flow rate, so 5000l/hr or ~ 1250 gals/hr

Thanks !

1 - the length of pipe will not cause problems, make sure you leak test before you close up the ceiling and you will be fine. If youre worried go up a pipe size.

2 - Bean animal works great, its what Im using.

3 - see 2.

Just make sure you get a return pump with a lot of head pressure(not just flow)

example (before the sump and frag tank was installed. Tank is above the mixing station.

RwjRKQW.jpg

Methos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - the length of pipe will not cause problems, make sure you leak test before you close up the ceiling and you will be fine. If youre worried go up a pipe size.

2 - Bean animal works great, its what Im using.

3 - see 2.

Just make sure you get a return pump with a lot of head pressure(not just flow)

example (before the sump and frag tank was installed. Tank is above the mixing station.

RwjRKQW.jpg
Beautiful setup! Any chance you having a build thread? OP sorry for the off topic question.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Any chance you having a build thread? OP sorry for the off topic question.

I havent started on on here yet, but here is the local one.

Methos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent started on on here yet, but here is the local one.

Thank you very much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back