Remote sump plumbing

Gnomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm plumbing my sump remotely, either on the other side of the wall in the garage or in the basement. The garage is super easy to plumb, but not climate controlled, 10 in the winter 90 in the summer. The basement would need to be behind drywall on the ceiling. I'm going Herbie style with a 3/4" main and 1" emergency. It is roughly 12' of vertical pipe and 20' of horizontal pipe. Should I maintain the same diameter throughout or move to a bigger pipe in the horizontal section. Keep in mind it will require cutting drywall to address issues down the road.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole setup is in a garage in Oklahoma where i summers garage is 120-140f and in winter still water will freeze inside the garage.
If you have a decent chiller and heaters you won't have a problem. I have 300gal system with 1.5 hp chiller an overkill probably 1 hp will work along with 4 x 300 watts titanium heating rods. Though tank can survive on just 2.
Regarding diameters on pipes I would keep 1 size all the way through.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole setup is in a garage in Oklahoma where i summers garage is 120-140f and in winter still water will freeze inside the garage.
If you have a decent chiller and heaters you won't have a problem. I have 300gal system with 1.5 hp chiller an overkill probably 1 hp will work along with 4 x 300 watts titanium heating rods. Though tank can survive on just 2.
Regarding diameters on pipes I would keep 1 size all the way through.
Agreed, would never go 3/4" especially with a remote sump.

OP
OP
Gnomy

Gnomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is drilled for 3/4" and 1".

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back