Remote WiFi controlled outlets?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten on a smart home kick lately. First I bought one Amazon Echo Dot, then another, then two more. I've since bought multiple wifi smart plugs, light bulbs, and light switches. The first ones I bought were from TP-Link, and setting them up was so effortless that I just kept with the brand. And they work great with the Echo. "Alexa, porch lights on", "ok", and they're on. I wish TP-Link made a wider variety of devices, I'd buy them all. Bought a Ring video doorbell, managed to get that working fine so it's pretty cool seeing who's at your door, and answering the door when you're not home, but the integration with Echo isn't that great yet. Then I got a Harmony hub, and although it has a lot of quirks and the software interface is weak, once you get it working, it's pretty cool being able to say, "Alexa, turn on the SyFy channel" and it happens. Or turning everything off with a single voice command on the way to bed at the end of the night. Next on the list is a wifi thermostat.

I've got one smart plug controlling the lights on my QT. Haven't plugged any of my DT components into one of these devices yet; seems that it would be a bit redundant with the Apex otherwise running the show. Voice control over aquarium functions would be fantastic but most of the devices available today are simple on/off switches, run simple programming schedules, or have proprietary functions built in, limiting their usefulness. Maybe soon 'The new Apex 2019, featuring Voice Control!'

Last edited:

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the ones from Merkury Innovations. No hub required. I find them on clearance at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for 7-10 dollars. Groupon sometimes has them for 30 for 3. https://www.groupon.com/latest-deals/gg-merkury-innovations-smart-control-kit-3-smart-wi-fi-plugs I use them to control everything. I now have a little Google Home that makes it so much easier. I just tell Google to turn everything off and on that I need. Merkury app runs on phone or tablet only, but it is remotely accessible.

I had a Senseye text that my temp was too high. I logged into Sensye's web site saw that the temp was rising. Figured my heater got stuck on. Ran the Merkury app and turned off the heater plug, all from across the country. Wife got home from work and replaced the heater.

I use the scheduling software to create 'wave makers' with my cheap Sun Sun pumps. It turns on and off my lights. It also controls my ATO on and off daily.

The only found 2 issues.
1 they haven't figured out Daylight savings. - not a big deal stuff turned on and off 1 hour early.
2. if you lose power the default is off. I have my important stuff on an APC. The rest I have added additional 'turn on' events every 30 mins to things that stay on for hours. This way if the power is lost. They will only remain off for at most 30 mins.

Now when I feed my tank I just tell Google to Turn Off Pump X. So easy. The app is simple buttons, but not having to use the tablet or phone is nice. Especially when my hands are wet.

I also use their rotating web cam. Also found on clearance at Tj Maxx - 19

OP
OP
Cornerboy

Cornerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! That's some pretty serious ingenuity Mr. Norman! I might do the same thing with this new build and put off buying a controller while this technology explosion goes a little bit farther. What scheduling software did you use again? Was that Merurry?

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Merkury comes with its own software (Geeni) that you download and connect to the devices over wifi. It is pretty easy to setup each device. I have one of these as a master plug that tracks electric usage. So I can see if any of my devices is having issues. Also it would allow me to shut everything down if something catastrophic happened. You can add them over time. One warning some old tablets and Ipads cant run the software. My android was 5 years old and couldn't run it. It cant run a lot of tools now.

I would suggest but not required with any of these IOT devices you setup 2 networks. The outside network is based on your internet provider's modem/router The second internal network is a router you purchase and interconnect your computers. You only give access to the IOT devices to your outside network. This way if there is some security issue with a device it it harder to get the info on your computers. If you search youtube there are plenty of videos on how to do it.

I first used them for 'wave making' then saw how easy to use they are, I just kept adding them. I now have them on the Coral QT tank, a few lights around the house. I am hopeful I can find another rotating cam or 2 so I can add it to watch additional areas of my system.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sonoff POWs with HomeAssistant. I can turn on/off each outlet as well as check wattage, much like an Apex Energybar. They run about $15 ea

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Sonoff POWs with HomeAssistant. I can turn on/off each outlet as well as check wattage, much like an Apex Energybar. They run about $15 ea
I use the sonoff switches as well. I think they work well for my stuff so far but we are still building the aquarium. We have google home and use ifttt app, but have yet to set up ifttt for the aquarium switches.
f05591b767397d5591fc36a4dbf9176c.jpg
7f6adb795b82fd68afc2fd1d753d2475.jpg

Kdoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them, I use Google Homes and have that as the voice control sometimes they unsync with my homes account would be cautious on putting them in "must work" situations. They are a nice add on though for me at least. "Ok Google Turn Off Skimmer"

U

User1

View Badges
They work well for changing water or refilling auto top off containers. Alexa, turn on fresh water pump....fills ATO container....Alexa, turn off fresh water pump. Same when refilling tanks water with newly made saltwater. Instead of fresh it is now marine. Day to day tasks when you only have you for help it makes things easier. I would not use them for anything else other than maybe lighting. Especially nothing while I was on vacation.

I believe we are still a few standards and quality shy of launching to low earth orbit. But for a helping hand I think they work fine and do use them.

wmhaupfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh for sure I agree, they are useful for the non-essentials. I have them hooked up to my water mixing station. My essentials on the DT upstairs are controlled through an Apex system. I agree that the robustness of a cheap wifi relay is probably not trustworthy for an aquarium ecosystem.

schapps1664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My home has a lot of smart devices/plugs controlled via phone app or Echo devices. I’ve used smart plugs for tank / cabinet lighting which works very well - never been fully comfortable plugging in some of the more critical items (i.e. rtn pump, heater) as connectivity is not always 100% all the time.

Using this adaptor in combination with a switch panel to give me 11 plug sockets with controllable by voice/app.

1CAB39D6-0334-49B2-ACCA-4934A618748D.jpeg
AAC46E46-64B3-4076-ACD7-359FB79634EF.jpeg

Last edited:

schapps1664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what‘s the purpose of a switch panel?
Just makes management of power/plugs easier than using extension leads/towers which can be very bulky and awkward to access individual plugs for turning on/off.

An extension plug goes into the back of my arch switch on the switch panel. The plugs and cabling can then be stored elsewhere and accessed when the need arises.

Attachments

• 53FB703B-5359-4555-AEBC-5626E197CBDD.jpeg
    53FB703B-5359-4555-AEBC-5626E197CBDD.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 32

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that video it was a good one. I have done something similar. I have 2 dj center for my 120 Mixed. One controls power for the tank and one for everything in my sump. Works great. I added small extension cords from the back of switches to a board and have my wifi switches attached.

Also in the past year I have also switched to using the Wyze plugs. I tried a few brands and have found the software to be the most stable. I moved all the Merkury/Geeni plugs to my house as I found that their change control on software had gone down. I am big fan of Wyze, good cameras , I have one on each tank. Just setup their new robo vacuum. Works well so far. Great prices.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of the Kasa switches. I using one of their power strips to maintain equipment on my QT and then various plugs around the house for lights, etc all controllable from an App. So I can check on things away from home etc

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back