Gorum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in a thread I posted a couple days ago detailing how we reefers are oppressed by landowners (lol), I was advised to start designing my setup while I wait for the opportunity to build. I started looking for a rimless 40 breeder, and I have found about zilch from anyone (which is weird because many people say that this is how you should start?). However, I have come across this generic amazon offering. Am I half as clever as I think I am for thinking I could combine this with an Aquatic Fundamentals 40b stand from Petco, plus a 20 long with the FijiCubes baffles kit for sump, plus the INOUT overflow system by XAqua? I am currently comparing two potential setups, and these are the goals I've come up with for my aquarium:
Aquarium Goals:
  • Stock a diamond goby, a scooter blenny, and a mandarin in the same tank
  • Automate all regular daily maintenance tasks / push them to weekend-only tasks.
  • Quiet overall system for my bedroom.
  • Keep Zoa and pulsing Xenia (eventually)
  • Keep it alive for 2-3 years.
I'd like to keep other fish species as well, but those 3 are the ones I am most excited about. I'm more flexible on the other fish species, but probably clowns or maybe green chromis.
Item NameItem CostWhen NeededItem NameItem CostWhen Needed
FijiCube 32 gal Int + Stand$747.99At startGeneric 45 gal Rimless$329.99At Start
Aqueon 10 gal Standard$12.99At StartAquatic Fundamentals 40b stand$229.99At Start
FijiCube DIY 10g Sump Kit$59.99At StartAqueon 20 Long$27.49At Start
Aquafuge 2 4.7gal refugium$343.99At StartFijiCube DIY Sump Baffles$106.24At Start
Syncra Silent 1.5$69.99At StartSyncra Silent 2.0$99.99At Start
Pink Fiji 20lbs$26.99At StartPink Fiji 40lbs53.98At Start
30lbs Dry Rock$90At Start40lbs Dry Rock$120At Start
Sum$1,351.94INOUT Overflow and Hose Kit$169.99At Start
Sum$1,137.67

I am going with a sump instead of an AIO aquarium because I want to automate every daily aquarium chore, pushing them to weekend or monthly chores, as I regularly work 3-4 12+hr shifts back to back, and don't want to do anything but sleep after work.
I'll probably use Theiling's Rollermat Compact, Hydros controller, Hydros topoff, Hydros Autofeeder, and an appropriately sized heater for each setup.

Am I missing anything important here? Admittedly I have not figured out lighting for either setup yet. Would you trust the generic amazon 45? I'm so tempted, since it fits my space better than anything else I've been able to find so far. Thanks for the help and feedback.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of options. My biggest concern with the tank is it would need to be drilled and overflow installed. This can be tricky. Why do you think an AIO is more maintenance? It’s essentially a built in sump.

You’ll also need:
Wavemakers
At least 20 lbs more sand
Water storage containers for RODI and mixing
Small Pump and heater for mixing
Float valve for RODI
RODI system
Salt (Reef Crystals, Instant Ocean, for example)
Filter socks
Other filter media (carbon, filter floss, etc.)
Auto Top Off (ATO - a requirement if you want no daily maintenance
ATO reservoir
Protein skimmer (almost a requirement for reducing maintenance)
Refractometer or hydrometer
Test kits
Seachem Prime
Auto-feeder
Lighting
Heater with controller (inkbird is an example)
Magnet glass cleaner
Glass scraper
Python or pump for water changes
Fish food - frozen and pellets for auto feeder
Plumbing hoses, ball valves and fittings

There are less expensive baffle kits if you’re trying to keep costs down. FB marketplace is a good place to look for used equipment. If you’re starting from scratch your list is missing a lot of necessities.

Adjustable Sump Baffle Kit - Refugium Kit for 20 Gallon Long Tank - Reef Aquarium - Saltwater Aquarium Filter System- Protein Skimmer Sump https://a.co/d/19uZkdi

It’s also pretty easy to make your own baffles with acrylic panels.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other equipment to consider:
MostAqua Auto Top Off for Freshwater Saltwater Aquarium, Fish Tank ATO Aquarium Top Off System https://a.co/d/2ANr1rP

INKBIRDPLUS 300W Submersible Aquarium Heater Titanium Fish Tank Auto Thermostat with LED Digital Temperature Readout and External Temperature Controller for Salt Water and Fresh Water https://a.co/d/gywdAfX

Geekpure 4 Stage Portable Aquarium Reverse Osmosis RO Drinking Water Filtration System 100 GPD - with Deionization DI Filter TDS to 0 https://a.co/d/cZNqD2c

Jebao SCP-70 Sine Cross Flow Pump Wave Maker with Controller, Black https://a.co/d/bk1plEn

Inkbird Aquarium Heater with Probe Thermostat Fish Ornamental Shrimp Reef Tanks 24 Hours Double Time with Day Night Automatic Temperature Controller https://a.co/d/dnol1YR

For cycling you can use the API test kit
API SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT 550-Test Saltwater Aquarium Water Test Kit https://a.co/d/2brEyYS

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIGITEN 1/4" Automatic Shut-Off Valve with Quick-Connect Fittings For RO Reverse Osmosis https://a.co/d/dppn9lz

Water Filter Float Ball Valve 1/4 Inch Adjustable Float Valve Plastic Water Tank Float Valves for Ponds, Water Pump, Water Trough, Aquariums, Aquaculture, Water Tank, Reservoir (6) https://a.co/d/9588FPh

ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump https://a.co/d/2Ag5vWI

OP
OP
G

Gorum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of options. My biggest concern with the tank is it would need to be drilled and overflow installed. This can be tricky. Why do you think an AIO is more maintenance? It’s essentially a built in sump.

You’ll also need:
Wavemakers
Float valve for RODI
RODI system
Filter socks
ATO reservoir
Test kits
Seachem Prime
Auto-feeder
Lighting
Magnet glass cleaner
Glass scraper

There are less expensive baffle kits if you’re trying to keep costs down. FB marketplace is a good place to look for used equipment. If you’re starting from scratch your list is missing a lot of necessities.

Adjustable Sump Baffle Kit - Refugium Kit for 20 Gallon Long Tank - Reef Aquarium - Saltwater Aquarium Filter System- Protein Skimmer Sump https://a.co/d/19uZkdi

Thank you for the replies, I hadn’t seen the cheaper baffles, so that’s a great shout! I might be wrong, but I thought that you couldn’t have a protein skimmer in an AIO? At least, not an appropriately sized one. Would the bubble magus Z5 fit in many AIOs?
Do I need filter socks if I plan on using an automatic fleece roller? I’m not sure if I mentioned it in my post, but I think I’ll use the Theiling compact rollermat, since it serves as a good spot to receive water from the overflow.
Do you know of any auto feeders that handle both frozen and pellets? i was eyeing the hydros auto feeder for pellets, since I am considering going hydros for my aquarium controller. Do I need a controller right away, or is that something I upgrade to down the line?

As for RODI, can I get away with using LFS water at first? I’m not sure I understand how to use the RODI filter you linked, do I need to hook it up to an air compressor?

Again, thanks so much, sorry if I am being dense lol.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rodi kit looks like it has everything you need. I used a similar one for many years. No air compressor needed - you hook it up to your water source.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies, I hadn’t seen the cheaper baffles, so that’s a great shout! I might be wrong, but I thought that you couldn’t have a protein skimmer in an AIO? At least, not an appropriately sized one. Would the bubble magus Z5 fit in many AIOs?
Do I need filter socks if I plan on using an automatic fleece roller? I’m not sure if I mentioned it in my post, but I think I’ll use the Theiling compact rollermat, since it serves as a good spot to receive water from the overflow.
Do you know of any auto feeders that handle both frozen and pellets? i was eyeing the hydros auto feeder for pellets, since I am considering going hydros for my aquarium controller. Do I need a controller right away, or is that something I upgrade to down the line?

As for RODI, can I get away with using LFS water at first? I’m not sure I understand how to use the RODI filter you linked, do I need to hook it up to an air compressor?

Again, thanks so much, sorry if I am being dense lol.
No need for socks if you’re using the roller mat. AIO’s do have skimmer options available, some are good, others not as much. You don’t need a controller right away. Smart plugs are a good way to automate or semi-automate many things.

There aren’t any good options really for auto feeding frozen as it needs to be kept cold. You don’t have to feed frozen, but maybe at least on the weekends to provide a more diverse diet.

You can use lfs water but it’s super inconvenient (imagine you suddenly need 20+ gallons at 10:00 PM). Plus hauling buckets, major pain and mess. RODI’s are pretty simple. No special equipment needed except a small amount of 1/4” hose and possibly a sink fitting.

You’d need to measure the specific AIO to know if the bubble magus would fit.

OP
OP
G

Gorum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’ll also need:
Wavemakers
Float valve for RODI
RODI system
Filter socks
ATO reservoir
Test kits
Seachem Prime
Auto-feeder
Lighting
Magnet glass cleaner
Glass scraper

Also, do you have an opinion on Chinese black-box lighting? It seems like a reasonable deal, but then I think about how nice having automatic dimming would be…

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you have an opinion on Chinese black-box lighting? It seems like a reasonable deal, but then I think about how nice having automatic dimming would be…
I have viparspectras over my tanks. I can’t justify spending thousands on light fixtures when these work great. The viparspectra won BRS’s battle of the black boxes for whatever that’s worth. This is a good deal:

OP
OP
G

Gorum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIGITEN 1/4" Automatic Shut-Off Valve with Quick-Connect Fittings For RO Reverse Osmosis https://a.co/d/dppn9lz

Water Filter Float Ball Valve 1/4 Inch Adjustable Float Valve Plastic Water Tank Float Valves for Ponds, Water Pump, Water Trough, Aquariums, Aquaculture, Water Tank, Reservoir (6) https://a.co/d/9588FPh

ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump https://a.co/d/2Ag5vWI

May I ask why you recommend the Eshopps 120 skimmer? I don't really know much about skimmers so I don't know how to comparison shop. How does it compare to something like the Bubble Magus C5? I'm also curious what the float valve is for, is that the backup for the ATO?

Last edited:

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float valve:

When the water level is low, the float valve does not float, therefore leaving the valve open
When the water level is high, the float valve floats, therefore closing the valve

Modern USA toilets operate similarly - take the lid off of the reservoir and flush the tank. Watch what happens.

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why you recommend the Eshopps 120 skimmer? I don't really know much about skimmers so I don't know how to comparison shop. How does it compare to something like the Bubble Magus C5? I'm also curious what the float valve is for, is that the backup for the ATO?
It’s just the type I’m familiar with. There are lots of good skimmers out there.

The float valve will prevent you from a flood when running the RODI. It will stop the flow of water into your reservoir, without it, you have to remember to stop it before it overflows. Trust me, you won’t remember.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just the type I’m familiar with. There are lots of good skimmers out there.

The float valve will prevent you from a flood when running the RODI. It will stop the flow of water into your reservoir, without it, you have to remember to stop it before it overflows. Trust me, you won’t remember.
Lol exactly, I did not remember on multiple occasions!

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used numerous aquamax HOB skimmers and they work really well. My first tank ever ran for 2 years with an Aquamax HOB trickle/skimmer combo. You can hang them off of the back or side of an AIO no problem. Then again I see you plan on running roller mat. These are quite the neat contraptions and can make a skimmer almost unnecessary. IMO roller mats filter the water to a degree that isn't needed. Not to mention the fact that the filter rolls can run upwards of $400-$500 per year. Most overflow boxes have a prefilter sponge in them and this is all that is actually nessesary for keeping larger particles out of the water column and the skimmer should be able to handle the rest.

IMO Filter socks and roller mats are just another disposible filter element designed to keep people commited buying new things for their tanks. Corals are filter feeders and some of what they eat is fish poop. If you filter all of that out completely (IE filter socks and or roller mats) you will then have to buy supplements to feed in order to make up for it. Up until recently 5/6 years nobody ran filter mats and only a few ran filter socks. Of course the supplement game didn't really explode until about then either. Its hard to sell supplements that are already in the water. If you filter that stuff out then you can sell it to people so they can add it back in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back