Removable Background

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier a thread was started about backgrounds. @revhtree asked me to post some pics of mine. Sorry they are not the best but you get the idea. Ask away...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dan, so what did Ya use? I'm setting up a 180 and have a fishroom behind the tank. I want to see back there !

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it goes....

I have four lap strips that are 8"x4" and two that are 34"x4". The smaller ones are top and bottom of a panel that is 25"x8" at the ends. The larger ones are top and bottom of the panel that is 34"x25" in the middle. The lap strips are attached using guerrilla glue double sided tape. The lap strips and panels are 1/4 think which is the thickness of the molding top and bottom for supports.

I had a local acrylic shop custom cut these. They also did my baffles for my sump. I'd guess you could google one around you and tell them what you are doing.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dan, I assume the panels are black acrylic black acrylic. I like the rigid panels. I have used cloth for a backing but was left wanting something better.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is plumbed as a peninsula style. It sits in the garage and is an in wall unit. The front and back have no plumbing. (just the right side is plumbed)
I use a piece of cloth. It is taped to the top eruobrace. I use an aluminum sq. rod to roll it up and roll it down.
If I get tired of the color I will go to the fabric store and get something different for less than a 5 dollar bill.
Works great anb very easy to use.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to paint one side blue so that I can switch from blue to black and visa versa depending on my mood.

Anyone have a link for the kind of paint I would use?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome man and thank you!

I really don't want to be a pain but would you consider turning on the lights and getting a close up of the brackets? :D I can't really see! I'm needy.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man and thank you!

I really don't want to be a pain but would you consider turning on the lights and getting a close up of the brackets? :D I can't really see! I'm needy.

I wouldn't exactly call them brackets. They more of a lap strip. The background panels then slide behind the lap strips. Does this pdf help explain?

Attachments

• IMG_8579.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 200

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black foam board from Office Depot and double sided tape to add and remove a black background when the spirit moves me. I initially did it just to see what it would look like with a black background, but I have left it up for months and it still holds. It's probably not as clean as what you're using, but it's cheap and effective. BTW, don't google lap strip at work . The results are inappropriate. :)

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black foam board from Office Depot and double sided tape to add and remove a black background when the spirit moves me. I initially did it just to see what it would look like with a black background, but I have left it up for months and it still holds. It's probably not as clean as what you're using, but it's cheap and effective. BTW, don't google lap strip at work . The results are inappropriate. :)

I just tried your black foam board idea...that was simple as can be. I contemplated painting the back of the tank before I setup up but I got to much in a hurry to put it all together! Lol

After it was all set up I then realized that was a bad idea not to paint it!

So foam board it is! Thank you for the suggestion!

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I have been brainstorming the idea of taking my black acrylic background and painting it blue on one side. Does anyone know of what type of paint I should use?

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I decided to give painting the background a shot. I first painted the two smaller panels but the turned out to be too dark. Didn't see any difference between that and the black. Went back and bought a lighter blue color. Will be anxious to hang this and see what it looks like.

IMG_0886[1].JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back