Remove entire sand bed to clean

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I want to remove entire sand bed to clean. What would be the best recommended process for this? Your input is appreciated.

88 gallon tank.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this on my Biocube here’s the post from my build thread.
Biocube Update

Changed out the substrate from gravel to sand!! No coral or livestock losses yay!

90% water change
Added Dr. Tim to help
Used live sand “special grade”

How I did it.
  1. Filled up a 15g tub with saltwater a heater and a bubbler.
  2. Pulled all rock and livestock and put it in tub.
  3. Trashed all the water in the tank. with the exception of 5g.
  4. Pulled the gravel and put it in a rubber tub, this was to find the hermit crabs.
  5. Used a Shop-Vac to get the rest, and scrubbed the bottom of the tank for any debris.
  6. Added liverock back to empty tank.
  7. Added sand around live rock.
  8. Filled tank 1/2 way with the 15g water in the tub. When the tub got low I added the livestock and crabs.
  9. Added the 5g of old water
  10. Topped it off with fresh saltwater
  11. Added Dr. Tim’s 30g
  12. Pulled filter and turned off skimmer for 24hrs

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking the sand out risks release of detritus, increase of nitrate and decrease bacteria. Putting new sand in can do similar if the sand is not clean. Suggest just to go slow with it. I have previously just sucked some sand out bit at a time, with the water changes. No problems observed. Takes a bit longer, but you get there.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Why? Haven't touched mine since this tank was started in 5+ years.
Because I happen to have a small cyano outbreak. I had pulled some sand maybe 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket worth. When I looked at the sand the following day the water was so dirty and murky. It made me think that the sand has not been cleaned in years it probably has so much gunk underneath that CUC can’t get too.

possibly contributing factor to cyano ?

The sand smelled so bad , of course from detritus. My plan is to remove and clean sand with hydrogen peroxide. Then rinse and put back

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I happen to have a small cyano outbreak. I had pulled some sand maybe 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket worth. When I looked at the sand the following day the water was so dirty and murky. It made me think that the sand has not been cleaned in years it probably has so much gunk underneath that CUC can’t get too.

possibly contributing factor to cyano ?

The sand smelled so bad , of course from detritus. My plan is to remove and clean sand with hydrogen peroxide. Then rinse and put back
Cyano is not being caused by your sand bed. Instead of removing, cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, then rinsing, all the combined things you are planning is probably gonna kill most if not all the living creatures in the sand then adding it back in your tank, which is probably gonna have a negative effect on your livestock (negatively). If your gonna do all that to your current sand
your tank and inhabitants have a better chance of less or no negative effects from removing all the "old" sand and adding all live new sand. I'm gonna stick with never vacuuming or cleaning my sand as its worked with all my tanks. Here's a pic of my current tank.
20210511_133123.jpg
20210503_125458.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Cyano is not being caused by your sand bed. Instead of removing, cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, then rinsing, all the combined things you are planning is probably gonna kill most if not all the living creatures in the sand then adding it back in your tank, which is probably gonna have a negative effect on your livestock (negatively). If your gonna do all that to your current sand
your tank and inhabitants have a better chance of less or no negative effects from removing all the "old" sand and adding all live new sand. I'm gonna stick with never vacuuming or cleaning my sand as its worked with all my tanks. Here's a pic of my current tank.
20210511_133123.jpg
20210503_125458.jpg
Just remove old sand ?

but with new sand it’s the same process! Rinse sand until it’s clear

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove old sand ?

but with new sand it’s the same process! Rinse sand until it’s clear
+1
As long as you do it right shouldn’t be an issue.

Here is a good read of how others accomplished this. I would reuse my sand...

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your bigger issues is how are you going to get it out. Kinda curious, with the advice given what you going with?

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many sand rinse threads if you search ....

i believe rip clean is another name used ?
Figured I’ll post it... since I looked it up to read it lol.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’ll post it... since I looked it up to read it lol.

I’m surprised Brandon didn’t smell the old sand in this post ...

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Agree with HB AL except for the not touching the sand part . Look at your tank and visualize the bottom sand in quarters , then start vacuuming each quadrant really well while trying not to stir the detritus into the water column while doing your regular water changes . In a month or so your sand bed should be clean . There are bacteria products u can use to help break down the detritus as well . After you’ve clean the sand, conch snails , and nassarius snails will help keep the sand bed clean .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back