Remove to hospital tank or leave alone and monitor?

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I introduced a yellow mimic tang the other day into my tank and was monitoring for aggression. Everything seemed to be going reasonably well but when I woke up this morning it had a serious gash on its side.

The wound looks quite deep and I'm amazed the fish is still active and eating normally. I'm wondering if I should remove to hospital tank and treat with antibiotics, or leave in the display tank and monitor? My water quality is pretty decent (3 ppm nitrate, 0.03 ppm phosphate, ph a little on the low side around 8.1).

TIA

mimic-tang-wound.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would watch it carefully. I would also consider having antibiotics and a tank available IF its any worse

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I have a tank on hand, and some kanaplex.

I'm debating dosing some StressGuard into the display tank although I've never done so before...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm debating dosing some StressGuard into the display tank although I've never done so before...
I don't think many use it for that

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I introduced a yellow mimic tang the other day into my tank and was monitoring for aggression. Everything seemed to be going reasonably well but when I woke up this morning it had a serious gash on its side.

The wound looks quite deep and I'm amazed the fish is still active and eating normally. I'm wondering if I should remove to hospital tank and treat with antibiotics, or leave in the display tank and monitor? My water quality is pretty decent (3 ppm nitrate, 0.03 ppm phosphate, ph a little on the low side around 8.1).

TIA

mimic-tang-wound.jpg
This is superficial and I would treat rather than wait for it to become infected
Best treatment in quarantine would be Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Stress guard is merely skin slime coat and does not reduce stress as name implies

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My rationale for the stress guard was: "StressGuard™ binds to exposed protein in wounds to promote healing of injured fish and to reduce the likelihood of primary and secondary infections"

But yes, I will try to remove him today and begin the kanaplex treatment.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

TIA

mimic-tang-wound.jpg
Interesting battle wound. It looks like the other Tang was swimming 90 degrees to the Mimic when it happened.

It looks ghastly but these injuries often heal in a few days. If you do separate the warriors then you will have to be careful about how you approach reintroducing the Mimic afterwards. Sorry these guys are behaving so poorly.

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the lights went out I observed some territorial battles over sleeping space with one of my angelfish. I wasn't expecting that but I thought the mimic tang got the hint as he moved to the area I was hoping he would although he was still swimming around when I went to bed. I'm still not entirely sure how the other tang got involved.
I'm going to rearrange a bit of the rock work so there is a more isolated space for him to rest and hope that helps.

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: fish is still in the tank, he/she didn't fall for any of my traps, seems like a smart fish. The wound is starting to close up and still no sign of infection. I'm feeding mysis, nori and vitamarin-m for now and I'm prepared to soak the food in kanaplex+focus.

I believe the aggression issues are resolved for now. In hindsight I wish I would have left him in the acclimation box for a full day/night cycle, instead of just from late afternoon till noon the following day. I normally do that but I felt confident and thought he was looking a bit glum in the box so I deviated. but I regret that :(

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would definitely remove the fish IF it's worsening. If not - leave it. There are multiple ways to hide the trap such that the fish will be less suspicious.. 1 would be feeding the fish in the trap without closing it. 2. Hide it amongst rocks. The most important - from my experience - patience:)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: fish is still in the tank, he/she didn't fall for any of my traps, seems like a smart fish. The wound is starting to close up and still no sign of infection. I'm feeding mysis, nori and vitamarin-m for now and I'm prepared to soak the food in kanaplex+focus.

I believe the aggression issues are resolved for now. In hindsight I wish I would have left him in the acclimation box for a full day/night cycle, instead of just from late afternoon till noon the following day. I normally do that but I felt confident and thought he was looking a bit glum in the box so I deviated. but I regret that :(
What if the reason the fish was picked on was because the other fish thought you were punishing the fish by leaving it in the box all night until noon the next day? How can anyone know what, how and why these creatures behave when they meet? In other words, I think you should focus your energy upon the fact that they are learning to live with each other and that the damaged fish is healing and getting stronger, not worse. Give yourself a break from the regrets and thank god that He made us creatures able to heal, and let the healing process include all of us too. I hope good things for you and me, and thankfulness is a good place for us to start, ime.

I needed to say that, and I hope you will not be disappointed or offended that I am so needy. I m working on it, :thinking-face: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I get your point and I appreciate it. It's a good reminder to not overthink things too much.

OP
OP
R

rbancroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Day 8 and the wound finally looks completely closed over. No sign of infection except for a bit of whiteness around the wound in the mornings on the first few days however it would clear up quickly.

Attachments

• mimic-healing.jpg
    mimic-healing.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 24

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back