Removed skimmer

freddy4130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been running two HOB filters. One AC110 with media and carbon and an AC70 as a fuge on my 40 breeder. It looked great. I had no issues with algae or any pther problems.

I removed the AC 70 and converted the 110 into fuge and added a skimmer. I was running the Remora with a Quiet One 1200. I ran that for a little over a month and my tank never looked worse. I was getting algae, I now have a ridiculous amount of flatworms. It was a nightmare so I removed the skimmer and returned the setup to its original state. I still have flat worms to a degree but I am looking as good as ever.

What gives?

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stop running carbon then? It really helps tank clarity and is IMO a must in a tank. Was your skimmer dialed in and pulling a lot out? The flatworms would thrive in a fuge where fish couldn't get to them, so that could explain that.

OP
OP
F

freddy4130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the Remora never really seemed to work like avertised. It was puling, but really dry foam,nothing ever oozed out of the neck nd settled into the cup while it wasstill wet. It would always dry up before it ever reached the bottom of the cup. There is no "diling in" a remora. They are not adjutable. I did keep the carbon in. It may have been the less flow with the skimmer than the Ac 70? Not sure, but I will not run a skimmer again untl I can get an in sump one.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can dial in a remora. Thats what the rubber ring is for (O ring) that goes around the cup.
I have 2 of them on 2 diff. tanks and I have to keep them up higher so the skimmate is'nt so wet.
I run maxi jet 1200's on mine.

kass

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

freddy4130

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cup was all the way down. That ring does not "dial in" the skimmer. You can't change anything but the hegith of the cup which makes no rea difference in simming. The real dialing in woud be beingable to adjust the nozzle to create more pressure. The thing never really created enough foam to make it happen. Just big bubbles. The QO 1200 has more PSI and a few more GPH. It should out perform the MJ according to Aqua C. I spoke to them while it was breaking in and a month later it was still performing the same as during the break in period. Oh well. My tank loks like a champ right now without it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back