Removing Adhesive from Barnacle Cluster

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common answer here will likely be -- don't use it, silly.

Barring that, does anyone have experience with removing/separating barnacles after they've been glued with potentially unsafe adhesive? (Beige color adhesive, content unknown, pictures below)
*if left to my own devices, I'll likely just start going at it with a Dremel and see what kind of chaos/destruction I'm capable of causing

Background:
1.5 year old natural barnacle cluster from local beach shop is starting to decay/dissolve (some barnacles collapsing) so I'd like to replace it.
Existing one has some nice, deep (2.5"+ deep) barnacles that my tailspot blenny really likes.
I've had a lot more trouble finding clusters with deep barnacles like that than anticipated (Amazon, eBay).

Here's the one I'm looking at disassembling (if possible) -- 2nd picture shows the beige adhesive of unknown origin:

barnacle_cluster1.jpeg

barnacle_cluster2.jpeg

Here's my current cluster:

branacle_damage.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recognize that Lepercaun snot they used to assemble the cluster. I don't think it represents a real hazard to anything in the reef but agree a dremel is probably what I would use.

People often recommend solvents for adhesive removal and the toxicity of those is probably greater than the dried Lepercaun snot you are looking at. Still, acetone, rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol might dissolve this quickly. IF it does, apply, dissolve, rinse with lots of water and let them dry to off gas any remaining solvent and if that doesn't work the dremel, or a pair of plyers might be your best options.

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leprechaun snot ... that's funny ... I like it!
Thanks for the tips.

If I stand the cluster up in a container with shallow rubbing alcohol (just deep enough to submerge the adhesive parts), I wonder if anything bad would happen to the barnacle composition,,, like dissolve or something.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leprechaun snot ... that's funny ... I like it!
Thanks for the tips.

If I stand the cluster up in a container with shallow rubbing alcohol (just deep enough to submerge the adhesive parts), I wonder if anything bad would happen to the barnacle composition,,, like dissolve or something.
I don't think the calcium will be dissolved in alcohol, or water. If you put it in an acid then it could possibly dissolve. Don't use muriatic acid like some folks do for "cleaning" live rock.

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the patience to spend much time in one sitting on this so have just left the barnacles soaking in rubbing alcohol this whole time and, occasionally (when bored), will pick at it with needle-nose pliers.

Alcohol did seem to soften the Leprechaun snot -- it kind of crumbles off with a consistency like almost dried wood putty.
Also finding regular clear hot glue that pulls right off with alcohol.
*seller doesn't assemble these but thought it was just different kinds of hot glue.

Anyway, plan is just to keep at it slowly as time/patience permits.
*really wish I could find another cluster with big/deep barnacles like this but never did so kind of gave up on that

Here's current state of disassembly with alcohol tub, minus small pieces that I've just been throwing away:

barnacles_alcohol1.jpeg

I'm almost wondering if there's some kind of plaster in play here too (circled) but not sure:

barnacles_plaster1.jpeg

...fun,,, not like I had anything better to do with my time,,, doh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to wrap this up, I did end up getting the barnacles all cleaned up and, after soaking them in RO/DI for about a week, finally put a couple in the back corner of my tank.

Tailspot blenny took to 'em pretty quickly after a bit of a fight to get him out of the old cluster:

blenny_barnacle1.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back