Removing Bioballs???

SWAGuru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of long time reefers recommend I take out the Bioballs from my 29g biocube. What, if anything, should I replace them with?
Thanks!

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree get them out of there! i took mine out too and put a poly filter back there to catch stuff and then i put chemi pure elite back there too

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with mike, don't need the bioballs if you gots live rock baby. poly filter and chemipure are great suggestions too.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bio balls for years, it all depends how you use them :) let in them in low flow can and will result in hi nitrates, having them in low flow, totally dark and hi skimming will result in zero nitrates. Having them in hi flow and clean will also reduce nitrates.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out the bio balls, took out the false floors and purchased the InTank media basket.

+1 I have an InTank Media with cut filter pad on top and Chaeto in the other chambers...mind if you do chaeto you will need to give it a light source to grow. I also have a Tunze 9002 skimmer next to it. You can fit alot in the area.

BioCube - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies

OP
OP
S

SWAGuru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All excellent replies! Thanks all!!! From what I understand I need to remove them one or two at a time over the course of several days until they are gone. Yes/No? I'm asking because those that recommended removing them don't have Biocubes. I trust them, but I would rather get the process from those that have actually done it.

OP
OP
S

SWAGuru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mufasa31. I've only had this tank about 3 months, although it is 9 months old. Prior owner decided it was more than they bargained for (to my delite! :) This will be my first modification. I'm probably going to follow your example and go with the InTank Media Basket, but "taking out the false floors"....will I need to cut them out or do they just pull up. Want to be prepared for this step.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mufasa31. I've only had this tank about 3 months, although it is 9 months old. Prior owner decided it was more than they bargained for (to my delite! :) This will be my first modification. I'm probably going to follow your example and go with the InTank Media Basket, but "taking out the false floors"....will I need to cut them out or do they just pull up. Want to be prepared for this step.

For the Bioballs - I removed them a handful at a time over a few weeks. Once empty you should be able to (if i remember right) just pop the false floors down. Pick a corner and maybe use something plastic and strong to push down....They can be in there pretty good so don't be afraid to use a little force.

OP
OP
S

SWAGuru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fsu1dolfan - after viewing the thread you sent me I wanted to encourage anyone that hadnt seen it to take a look.....WOW!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back