Removing Bubble Tip Anemones (I feel bad for even thinking about asking this)

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a safe way to remove (dare I say kill) Bubble Tip Anemones?

I see so many threads about how to keep RBTAs - and I have the other problem.... They're so happy in my tank that they just won't stop splitting, growing and splitting again...

And of course they're all doing the magical trick of hiding their feed under ledges and in spots where its impossible to prise them out...

Short of telling people "Free to good home - the only catch is that you need to come to my house and work out how to remove them yourself", if there anything I can do? I've pondered experimenting by hitting one with some Aiptasia-X, but figure there's a reasonably good chance that could nuke my entire tank.

Please don't hate me for asking the question - I'm genuinely stuck, and they're causing a lot of damage to my SPS corals that are - apart from this - doing really well...

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem, don't beat yourself up too much! I was told to take my power head and point it directly at them. Once they start moving you can easily remove them from the rock. You can use an old gift card or your nails if they're long enough to remove em with ease. Just have to get them to start walking, that makes plucking then off the rock easier and harm free.

Idk about you but I'm actually at the point of just trading whole rocks in because there's 14 or 15 nems just sitting on them, lol that seems easier to me!

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the rock out and use ice or hang them upside down over a bin with water and they will eventually let go

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kdsmithey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a safe way to remove (dare I say kill) Bubble Tip Anemones?

I see so many threads about how to keep RBTAs - and I have the other problem.... They're so happy in my tank that they just won't stop splitting, growing and splitting again...

And of course they're all doing the magical trick of hiding their feed under ledges and in spots where its impossible to prise them out...

Short of telling people "Free to good home - the only catch is that you need to come to my house and work out how to remove them yourself", if there anything I can do? I've pondered experimenting by hitting one with some Aiptasia-X, but figure there's a reasonably good chance that could nuke my entire tank.

Please don't hate me for asking the question - I'm genuinely stuck, and they're causing a lot of damage to my SPS corals that are - apart from this - doing really well...
I’ve had success with using a dull toothpick to get under the BTA’s foot, then roll the toothpick around a bit and lift. Took some time, but it came off and survived. You can definitely get them off with this method, but not sure if they’ll always survive like mine did.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good option if you can't remove the rock. Contact a LFS and see if you can trade them in or give them free to get rid of them.

Thread 'Safe and Easy DIY way to remove Nems' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/safe-and-easy-diy-way-to-remove-nems.861213/
Great idea. But some of my rocks/structures are larger and would need bigger rubber bands/zip ties. But might try it anyway. I’ve tried the power head and it didn’t work, but maybe I didn’t do it long enough.

corey

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put constant flow on him, some rubble rock near, maybe he’ll move onto the rock.
That how I got these two from display.
IMG_1960.jpeg

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Great idea. But some of my rocks/structures are larger and would need bigger rubber bands/zip ties. But might try it anyway. I’ve tried the power head and it didn’t work, but maybe I didn’t do it long enough.

corey
Did you try a notarized eviction notice?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a decently good option.
That’s what I did. Although, the pwr head trick does work. It may take a couple days tho. The ice trick worked too, but you constantly have to keep rubbing them to make them uncomfortable enough to move. My hands were in the tank so long the dried and cracked the next day. That’s why I just sold the rock.

Rob-

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear by the "nem cannon"

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some carbon and inject them with kalk when you’re done playing around. Just don’t do too many at once per day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back