Removing copper with polyfiber

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a dumb question, but I could not find the answer anywhere. To remove copper using polyfiber, just add it to my HOB and let it run? Do I need to rinse or change the polyfiber regularly?

About how long will it take to remove 2.0 copper power from 100 gallons using a HOB?

Thanks!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a dumb question, but I could not find the answer anywhere. To remove copper using polyfiber, just add it to my HOB and let it run? Do I need to rinse or change the polyfiber regularly?

About how long will it take to remove 2.0 copper power from 100 gallons using a HOB?

Thanks!
It will take forever more than likely.

Easiest way is to do large WCs to reduce the Cu level. That's my .02

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally left poly in my filter during qt copper treatment. When I realized that it had been running for 2 days with poly in it I feared I was going to have to restart the clock on copper treatment, but I found that it made virtually no discernable difference in the copper level. I think it dropped maybe .02 in 2 days.

So I’m with hotrocks on this one. I don’t think it will ever remove it.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cuprisorb a while back

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit... it's a 100 gallon qt.. that's a bunch of water to make and salt haha..

LFS has cuprisorb for $35.. salt is cheaper but not for 100 gallons worth...

Could I lower the copper level down and still proceed with prazipro treatment? How low should the levels be before prazi?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit... it's a 100 gallon qt.. that's a bunch of water to make and salt haha..

LFS has cuprisorb for $35.. salt is cheaper but not for 100 gallons worth...

Could I lower the copper level down and still proceed with prazipro treatment? How low should the levels be before prazi?
Trust me, I get it. I do however us cheapo IO salt in QT and it's $35 a case on sale from Amazon (limit 3) and it's good for 200g worth. I have two 125g QTs running now and am burning down cases of salt lol.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Are you referring to Poly Filter?

I used this to remove Cu from my QT quite successfully. As suggested earlier I did a big WC but then used the Poly Filter to absorb anything left over. You can clearly see it working as it will turn quite blue. I disposed of the piece I used and then put in a fresh one to confirm there was no Cu left (there wasn’t).

I run Poly Filter normally in my QT as a safeguard unless I am dosing medications.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back