removing Corraline Algae

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used 150-gallon aquarium that has leftover coralline Algae on the backglass and overflow. It is as hard as a rock and seems like it will be a pain to clean. Is it ok to start my new tank leaving the coralline on the backglass and overflow? Or should I try scraping it off?

20220302_090158.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would scrape it off, I dont see any reason you would absolutely have to if you didnt want to. I had a second hand tank in similar condition to yours and I didnt scrape it off. I regretted it only because new coralline grew over it and was like scraping off layers.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you start the tank back up, it will turn white and start to flake off if it was allowed to dry and die.

If you fill it up with just water, it will get soft in a few days and you can scrape it off. If you want to make it go faster, then some Muriatic Acid will eat through it in no time - use the Muriatic outdoors and while not death in a bottle, it does need handled appropriately, so read up.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you start the tank back up, it will turn white and start to flake off if it was allowed to dry and die.

If you fill it up with just water, it will get soft in a few days and you can scrape it off. If you want to make it go faster, then some Muriatic Acid will eat through it in no time - use the Muriatic outdoors and while not death in a bottle, it does need handled appropriately, so read up.
does that help with cloudy glass as well? i bought a used 75 with cloudy glass but vinegar hasn't helped much.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately I'm not lugging that beast back outside. I suppose I could fill it up with tap water and maybe some vinegar and maybe it will come off easier. It just seems like a lot of work. Lol, I just wish it wasn't there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill it up, add citric acid, let it run overnight, drain and wipe clean.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used 150-gallon aquarium that has leftover coralline Algae on the backglass and overflow. It is as hard as a rock and seems like it will be a pain to clean. Is it ok to start my new tank leaving the coralline on the backglass and overflow? Or should I try scraping it off?

20220302_090158.jpg
I wouldn't, free coraline spores. I would make sure the tank is cleaned though. wouldn't want ick or smth to show up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back