Removing detritus from water column

Sharkey18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 250g bare bottom tank. The tank itself is old and has 2, 2 inch PVC pipe overflows.

The tank has good flow, but when I blast the rock I get A LOT of detritus floating around the tank. The issue I have is that because of the small overflow tubes, I think most of the detritus that I blow off the rocks just settles back down before getting sucked into the sump.

I am looking for a way to filter the detritus out of the water after I blow off the rocks. I only need to do this once every week or two. So I'm thinking some way to clean a large volume of water in a short time where the water can be pulled from the main body of the tank rather than the detritus needing to float to the top to find a small pipe to be exported.

Ideas?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always create your snowstorm of detritus and then have a separate small micron sock (10micron) in your sump...then actually use a larger hose (maybe 3/4" diameter) to siphon water from your DT down through the 10micron sock in the sump....therefore, keeping the water in the tank system but just pulling the larger particles in the water column out.

If I have a lot of larger debri blowing around after cleaning rocks, I just swoosh a small 7" sock around in the open space in the tank to catch junk as well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Employing lots of random wave flow from multiple sources can constantly “sweep” the bottom keeping detritus up in the column for export to a 200micron sock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back