Removing fan on G5

  • Thread starter Thread starter panic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
It's pretty straightforward, you have to have some torx screwdrivers, but as you start to take it apart it becomes extremely apparent.
I thought it would be, but removing the plate over the fan has me stumped. The 4 pieces that the hanging bolts attach to just spin

IMG_2378.jpeg
 
Start from the other side (bottom side).

Edit: sorry didn't see that you had it taken apart already.

Those screws inside the threaded portion of the hanging parts are like a T2. Very small. Once you get those out, that top acrylic layer will come off. Just be mindful of the ribbon for the buttons.
 
Last edited:
I got it apart, thanks for the help.

I had every size torx bit except for the one needed, but a tiny flathead screwdriver fit and did the job. Part of the screen over the fan was loose and was causing the noise that lead me to believe the fan had a bearing out. I’ll glue the screen back down and if still making noise, I’ll replace the fan.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new