Removing Frag Tank from System for Move?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving next week and trying to figure out the best way to transfer everything. I have a 120g tank with a 40g frag tank that's been running for 2.5 years. New house is only 3mi-4mi from the current place so fortunately it's not too far to go. But my plan is to move the frag tank first and plumb it into a 100g Rubbermaid tub, and then move the contents of the 120g over in the next week or two. Is this going to throw the 120g main display out of wack? What can I do to mitigate this?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful this is, but I just watched this reef builder video the other day on moving their tank. They seem to be doing a similar process as you with a rubbermaid trough. Sounds stressful! Good luck! Let me know if you need any help locally!

OP
OP
Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful this is, but I just watched this reef builder video the other day on moving their tank. They seem to be doing a similar process as you with a rubbermaid trough. Sounds stressful! Good luck! Let me know if you need any help locally!

Ha, trust me I've watched that video a few times. His tub is kind of my end goal, with the contents of my 120g going into there, and then having the 40 gallon frag tank drain into there. I was even happy to hear him point out that a single Kessil ap9x worked over his 100g tub since I'm planning on using one of my Kessil ap700s over mine.

I think I have all of this planned out, but I was hoping to find some reassurance that I'm not going to suddenly kill everything when I take the 40g frag tank off of the system and leaving it by itself for a week or two.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, trust me I've watched that video a few times. His tub is kind of my end goal, with the contents of my 120g going into there, and then having the 40 gallon frag tank drain into there. I was even happy to hear him point out that a single Kessil ap9x worked over his 100g tub since I'm planning on using one of my Kessil ap700s over mine.

I think I have all of this planned out, but I was hoping to find some reassurance that I'm not going to suddenly kill everything when I take the 40g frag tank off of the system and leaving it by itself for a week or two.
Your 40g frag tank is plumbed to your 120g currently?

OP
OP
Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 40g frag tank is plumbed to your 120g currently?
Correct. 120g and 40g both share a sump. I'd be leaving the 120g and sump alone for a while, but planning on taking the 40g off first.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. 120g and 40g both share a sump. I'd be leaving the 120g and sump alone for a while, but planning on taking the 40g off first.
You're definitely more experienced than I but the only thing I would think to look out for is differences in nutrient levels. Assuming your frag tank didn't have fish, it was probably a big consumer of nutrients and if you maintained the same amount of nutrient import for your 120g you could possibly raise your nutrient levels higher than normal. But that is easy to monitor and worst case would result in some algae outbreaks but if I recall, the reef builder guys had a GHA outbreak when they moved everything into the rubbermaid.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a frag of everything in your DT? That would be the only other thing, just for insurance purposes in case something does go wrong you can grow them back out from a frag.

Back