Removing Grandis polyps from vermetid snail infested rock

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of restarting my tank with all new rock due to algae and vermetid snails overrunning a neglected tank. There are 6 large polyps of palythoa grandis on one of my rocks that I would like to save, however they're surrounded by vermetid snails and bubble algae, so they need to be fully removed and glued down to a clean frag plug, which will then be transferred to another tank until the new tank is up. Will I be able to just peel the mat off of the rock with tweezers carefully, or is there a better way to go about this without possibly killing the polyps? I will of course be using gloves, mask and protective eyewear to keep myself safe regardless of what I try! Appreciate any tricks or suggestions.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of restarting my tank with all new rock due to algae and vermetid snails overrunning a neglected tank. There are 6 large polyps of palythoa grandis on one of my rocks that I would like to save, however they're surrounded by vermetid snails and bubble algae, so they need to be fully removed and glued down to a clean frag plug, which will then be transferred to another tank until the new tank is up. Will I be able to just peel the mat off of the rock with tweezers carefully, or is there a better way to go about this without possibly killing the polyps? I will of course be using gloves, mask and protective eyewear to keep myself safe regardless of what I try! Appreciate any tricks or suggestions.
I have fragged grandis and numerous other palys by just snipping off the polyps with some sharp scissors. Then use tweezers to hold them in the glue on the frag plugs. They are a little ticked for a while, but never had an issue doing it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fragged grandis and numerous other palys by just snipping off the polyps with some sharp scissors. Then use tweezers to hold them in the glue on the frag plugs. They are a little ticked for a while, but never had an issue doing it.
me too. :cool:

OP
OP
ReefSlice

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, I'll just try to get as much flesh as possible and make 1 polyp frags then. Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back