removing inner reflector..

Will Parsons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I am new to the forum and in being so, am not to familiar with creating a new thread. Hopefully I get it right! lol!
Yesterday I was about to install my new Coralife 18w Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer when I thought I'd go online to see how others mounted and installed their Sterilizer(s) when I came across an article (I think it was here on R2R) about this brand of Sterilizers "rusting or Corroding" inside. I believe it is the reflector unit that is the issue. I also read that people have removed this reflector inside the unit. Although this may reduce the UV light from its full potential, it will at least eliminate the corrosion/rust issue that should not have been an issue in the first place.
So, is there anyone that has removed this reflector from their Coralife Turbo Twist Sterilizer and if so, how easy/difficult was it to remove? I really prefer to keep my Coralife UV but I think I may have to replace it with another brand that doesn't have this problem.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! In the not to distant future I am going to install a Pentair UV sterilizer. Figured if they r good enough for most sea aquariums they would be good for me.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming @Will Parsons

I have same model in us constantly for at least 10 years. Never a problem. When I change the bulbs I clean the glass. No rust or anything else you need to worry about

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I'm guessing this was the thread you were talking about: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coralife-uv-sterilizer.537401/ . Here are couple links for the "best UV Sterilizers" according to fishtankworld and aquarium advisor. It looks like your brand is on the lists. I did a quick scan and couldn't find a date for the first article -- but I hope there are some helpful tips for you here and you can walk away with useful information. https://www.fishtankworld.com/best-uv-sterilizer-reviews/ & https://aquariumadviser.com/best-uv-sterilizer-reviews/. I'm glad you joined us. Welcome to R2R!
Deadpool.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Will Parsons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming @Will Parsons

I have same model in us constantly for at least 10 years. Never a problem. When I change the bulbs I clean the glass. No rust or anything else you need to worry about

upload_2019-3-22_18-20-32.gif
Thank you for your warm welcome and great words of enthusiasm!! Since I had posted my first thread regarding the "rust" issue in the Coralife UV, I came up with an (good) idea! The idea is that I take my Marineland Aquarium silicone and run a fine bead of silicone along the top edge as well down the vertical seam then smoothen it out the best I can making sure none rests on that plastic seal ledge along the top (..or open end) is. I am going to re-install my unit tomorrow afternoon once the 24+ hours is up in order to allow the silicone to properly dry. I was about to wrap it up and send it back to the people I purchased it from last week but I had this funny feeling in me to just hold off and rub my two brain cells together inwhich I came up with the idea of the silicone. Probably overkill but! One last thing as well... Those who had complained about this online, (FB, Etc...) seemed to all have one thing in common... they're reef keepers... And that only spells one thing! SALT + Tin (or what ever that reflector is made of...) And we all know what salt does to any ferrous material! R U S T!!!!

Back