Removing Jason Fox Cry Babies from Main Rock in DT?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I purchased some Mohican Sun and Cry Baby "zoas" from Jason Fox which turned out to be more of the weed type palys vs. peaceful zoas IME. I successfully removed a medium colony of Mohican Sun zoas from my main rock structure by tearing them out with tweezers one by one since I got confirmation from someone that they have done the same in DT without issue.

So, now on to the Cry Babies which are getting out of control on my main rock structure.

Has anyone removed JF Cry Babies from DT without issue? I pulled one big one out last night as a test case with no issue but still nervous about removing the whole small/medium colony. There is no way to remove the rock since it's on my main structure that is all cemented together. I will have to tweeze them off the rock structure one by one which involves quite a bit of ripping, tearing and popping of polyps...

Thanks

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried using a razor blade and using it to peel up the mat like removing a sticker or price tag? I've been able to get quite a bit up like that on those horrible green Palys. The ones I couldn't get I just sliced off close to the rock. I would run a sock of GAC just to be safe. You can always hit them with Aptasia-X. That'll typically do them in as well.

Wish I was close, I would take some off your hands. :)

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried using a razor blade and using it to peel up the mat like removing a sticker or price tag? I've been able to get quite a bit up like that on those horrible green Palys. The ones I couldn't get I just sliced off close to the rock. I would run a sock of GAC just to be safe. You can always hit them with Aptasia-X. That'll typically do them in as well.

Wish I was close, I would take some off your hands. :)

I've yet to really go at these ones but the peeling off methods really didn't work with the mohican suns that seem to have a similar tissue structure. I really like them so may just resort to trying to maintain them by trimming regularly. I haven't tried Aptaisia-X on them so maybe that would be an easy method of control. Do you inject them internally or just cover the mouth externally like you would with an aptaisia?

Last edited:

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to really go at these ones but the peeling off methods really didn't work with the mohican suns that seem to have a similar tissue structure. I really like them so may just resort to trying to maintain them by trimming regularly. I haven't tried Aptaisia-X on them so maybe that would be an easy method of control. Do you inject them internally or just cover the mouth externally like you would with an aptaisia?
I just squirt it on the mouth like an Aptasia. They shrink up and melt. If a little bit is left over that tries to bud again I will tweeze/razor that off. I wouldn't do a whole bunch at one time, but it works well enough for me. Again, I just run some fresh carbon anytime I'm messing with Palys.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just squirt it on the mouth like an Aptasia. They shrink up and melt. If a little bit is left over that tries to bud again I will tweeze/razor that off. I wouldn't do a whole bunch at one time, but it works well enough for me. Again, I just run some fresh carbon anytime I'm messing with Palys.

I'll give that a go. The colony is still small enough that this just might be a good solution to contain them. Thanks

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it works out. If not, you can always go back to plucking them. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back