Removing kenya tree

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kenya tree (well actually it's a few Kenya Trees) and I just want to get them out of my tank. It was the first coral I put in my tank and it's in a prime spot for some of my sps corals. The foot is down into the rock so there is no way to remove the whole thing. Is there any issue with cutting it as low as I can and then just putting epoxy in the hole over the rest. When I cut the coral do I need to worry about it releasing any toxins into the tank. Should I put a bag of carbon in the sump just in case?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any issue with the plan. I’m not aware of any toxins related to Kenya trees but they can slime. Are you just moving it or dragging it for locals?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any issue with the plan. I’m not aware of any toxins related to Kenya trees but they can slime. Are you just moving it or dragging it for locals?
I though they released toxin but I'm not positive. Honestly it's probably going in the trash, because I don't know anyone local that wants it and it's not worth hassling with shipping.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting it as low as possible then killing the rest with some kalk paste. After 1 week you'll have a clean surface and no epoxy residue

Don't know what kalk paste is? Research it on R2R search function
I was going to go ahead and place an acro frag on the epoxy.

I'm aware of what kalk paste is.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, do it outside the tank. I realize that you are not able as you stated it is down in an area you cannot.

So, make sure to drain the water down, get a bucket right over the tank, cut low and quickly then put in bucket immediately. These guys can and will slime and get very mad. They can get nasty real fast if large too. If small, not to worry as much.
Then, fill the tank back up and run some carbon. Should be good. I say drain it, so you can get to the coral without the extra water and flow to move the slime around. Great time for water change!

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, do it outside the tank. I realize that you are not able as you stated it is down in an area you cannot.

So, make sure to drain the water down, get a bucket right over the tank, cut low and quickly then put in bucket immediately. These guys can and will slime and get very mad. They can get nasty real fast if large too. If small, not to worry as much.
Then, fill the tank back up and run some carbon. Should be good. I say drain it, so you can get to the coral without the extra water and flow to move the slime around. Great time for water change!
The rock would be very hard to remove from the tank. Also tank is a 125g so draining it down is also not ideal.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then cut and move immediately. Depends on the size. Anything larger than a cantaloupe will give off some nasty stuff. Just warning you.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its super easy just use a sharp razor it will cut!

(Forged in fire)

But no I have cut them with a razor then scoop with net out of the tank quick, then same idea I just squeeze super glue in the hole and glue some chunks over its grave and like you said put something in its place. Hope the foot can't get "a foot hold" And the carbon is a great idea! Chop that tree!

I have one I need to deal with soon too!

Back