OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok so I just ordered the Disodium Phosphate FOOD GRADE 99% Min. Purity 2lb. This was the first item on your list.
I am feeding two to three times a day nitrates are good now but my phosphates are still undetectable. SO this should help.
I am hoping that the nitrates and phosphates nutrients stir something else in the water that will out compete the dinos I have.
ultra low nutrients is not the way to go. never thought I would say it but my tank was too clean. I no longer change my filter socks every two days. leaving socks in for 5 days also helps raise my nitrates.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok guys I am excited my nitrates are holding good at 5ppm and my Disodium Phosphate finally arrived from amazon only 4 days late. How much of this stuff do I dose into my tank. My Hanna checker still says my phosphates are undetectable. I would like to get 0.12 ppm to ensure I reach my goal and at that point I will consider the tank polluted and my ULNS will be gone lol. So about that dosing any help? my tank size is 150 in DT 34.5 in sump for a total of 184.5 but due to rock displacement I have 131 gallon all together now this is an approximate guess but should be very close.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I am excited my nitrates are holding good at 5ppm and my Disodium Phosphate finally arrived from amazon only 4 days late. How much of this stuff do I dose into my tank. My Hanna checker still says my phosphates are undetectable. I would like to get 0.12 ppm to ensure I reach my goal and at that point I will consider the tank polluted and my ULNS will be gone lol. So about that dosing any help? my tank size is 150 in DT 34.5 in sump for a total of 184.5 but due to rock displacement I have 131 gallon all together now this is an approximate guess but should be very close.

Do you have a scale?

Na2HPO4 is about 2/3 (67%) phosphate by weight.

So if you add 1 gram to 100 gallons (379 L) of tank water, you will boost phosphate by 670 mg/379 = 1.8 mg/L ~ 1.8 ppm. Obviously that is too much.

If you make a stock solution of 1 gram in 100 mL of RO/DI (resulting in phosphate of 6.7 mg/mL), then dose 1.1 mL of that solution to 100 gallons, you will have added 0.02 ppm, which is a fine amount to add at once.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a scale?

Na2HPO4 is about 2/3 (67%) phosphate by weight.

So if you add 1 gram to 100 gallons (379 L) of tank water, you will boost phosphate by 670 mg/379 = 1.8 mg/L ~ 1.8 ppm. Obviously that is too much.

If you make a stock solution of 1 gram in 100 mL of RO/DI (resulting in phosphate of 6.7 mg/mL), then dose 1.1 mL of that solution to 100 gallons, you will have added 0.02 ppm, which is a fine amount to add at once.

Well Randy its too late. I was very excited and dosed 1 teaspoon of the NaPo4 into 180mL of water that was way to much I now have phosphates. I actually had too much. My phophates went from 0.00 to 2.50ppm. I had to dose NoPox and turn on my GFO reactor to bring it down. I will take a reading tonight. I now know that with a 99% purity that 1 teaspoon was too much way to much. On a flip side nothing has died as of yet and the Dinos look to be receding. I will keep you guys posted. I did not know the NaPo4 was the good stuff lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back