Removing new stuck to glass

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm breaking down one tank and transferring everything to a new tank. I drained half the old tank and failed miserably at removing the anemones. There's three in this tank. I ended up filling the tank back up now I have the old tank, temp holding tank , and new tank taking up all the space in my office - HELP
stuck nem.jpg

Edit: Apparently I cant edit the thread title...It auto corrected

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to peel them off like a sticker with your finger, Just go slow

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain the water down below the lowest nem and wait for them to release their feet and fall into the tank.
So they have enough instinct / sense to go into the water? I waited a while figuring that was going to happen and they were just hanging upside down shrinking down to almost nothing. Guess I didnt wait long enough. Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they have enough instinct / sense to go into the water? I waited a while figuring that was going to happen and they were just hanging upside down shrinking down to almost nothing. Guess I didnt wait long enough. Thanks
That's how I've removed them from rocks-hold the rock above the water until they let go.

Since they are on a flat surface (and don't have the foot hidden in a rock), you can also try rubbing an ice cube on the foot to encourage it to let go.

Their first instinct when threatened is to shrink up, but they will eventually move, either to get back in the water or to get away from an irritant.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use a credit card (or similar)....slowly......they will peel off. Just kinda nudge the foot
thats what I was doing. I probably didnt do it long enough. A tiny portion started to bend up a little - by tiny I mean like 1%. I just didnt know how forceful I can be without damaging it

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what I was doing. I probably didnt do it long enough. A tiny portion started to bend up a little - by tiny I mean like 1%. I just didnt know how forceful I can be without damaging it
Once you get an edge loose, it should get easier to remove more of the foot.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a gift card or hotel room key card. They're a little thinner and more flexible than credit cards. All it takes to getting it under one corner of the foot. After that the card should slide through dislodging the entire foot.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is still full of water I’ve heard people positioning their power head at the anemone until they move. It seems you’re in a bit of a crunch for time so I would second/third using an ice cube or credit card/thumb nail.

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is still full of water I’ve heard people positioning their power head at the anemone until they move. It seems you’re in a bit of a crunch for time so I would second/third using an ice cube or credit card/thumb nail.
Yeah Im going to try again tomorrow and put them in an acclimation box before draining the tank again

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a razor blade to get it off the glass. Remove anemones or other soft body corals, and snails off of glass is so easy and non traumatic with razor blade.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back