Removing salt line

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im frustrated. Tried vinegar with a sponge and no luck.

Tried a brand new blade to scrape it off and no luck. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this line? Im OCD and it drives me crazy. Want to get rid of it prior to setting up my tank.

8D16F5E9-81EB-48B5-97BD-51A57B30C603.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a friends house helping him out with his tank and he had some salt/water deposits. He said, watch this. He grabbed some new steel wool and it came right off. SW is relatively cheap. Maybe give it a shot before the acid? Good luck.

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reporting in. Bought muratic acid and cleaned the line thoroughly with a sponge. It was a no go. Should I soak a towel and leave it on the tank where the salt line is?

Im giving up hope :(

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cerium oxide powder and some buffing wheels. Check youtube for glass polishing videos. This should come off pretty easy.

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reporting in. Bought muratic acid and cleaned the line thoroughly with a sponge. It was a no go. Should I soak a towel and leave it on the tank where the salt line is?

what ever came of this? i am having the same problem, tried vinegar soak for 3 days, no im 30 minutes into CLR, and still nothing with vigorous scrubbing and razor scraping. i saw someone said bar keepers friend should i try that or the muratic acid?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe try soak and scrape with something more rigid then a sponge. Maybe try a razor start lightly.

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a razor and no luck. Not sure if there is anything other than rebuffing the glass which scares me at the thought of it

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a razor and no luck. Not sure if there is anything other than rebuffing the glass which scares me at the thought of it
Possibly buffing wouldn’t be too bad. If your worry is distorting the glass view I think it would be minimal if you keep most your buffing at the salt and water line. When full you shouldn’t notice much is my opinion.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, like yourself tried everything to remove a waterline from my used aquarium. NOTHING worked.

Finally gave up and filled the tank with saltwater. Once water comes into contact with the line - it disappears! Don’t worry about it. You will not see it once the aquarium is filled!!!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill it with water .
I’d bet you won’t see it anymore .
but if that doesn’t work .
vinegar and elbow grease .
muriatic acid ,

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, like yourself tried everything to remove a waterline from my used aquarium. NOTHING worked.

Finally gave up and filled the tank with saltwater. Once water comes into contact with the line - it disappears! Don’t worry about it. You will not see it once the aquarium is filled!!!

Agreed. Most likely wont see it anymore

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back