Removing sand in an estsblished tank

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to remove almost all the sand excluding maybe a mm of it below the rock. The tank is 13.5g. How could I go about removing all the sand without removing the rock? Also how should I take out the sand? I don't want to throw off my chemistry as I've already stabilized my tank

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry OP. Was at work. I’d refer to the post above this one with regards to the amount you remove at a time.

just remember to take it slow and keep an eye on your parameters as you go.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to remove almost all the sand excluding maybe a mm of it below the rock. The tank is 13.5g. How could I go about removing all the sand without removing the rock? Also how should I take out the sand? I don't want to throw off my chemistry as I've already stabilized my tank
Slowly, like maybe take out 1/4 of the sand a week for 4 weeks.

I did that when I had a problem with Dino.

i then washed it well in tap water with bleach let it sun dry and added back all in one go

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly, like maybe take out 1/4 of the sand a week for 4 weeks.

I did that when I had a problem with Dino.

i then washed it well in tap water with bleach let it sun dry and added back all in one go
I don't plan to add it back. Assuming I have a total sand volume 216 inches³ should I remove ¼ of that each week? Also how would I remove it? What tools?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain why you want to do this?

How old is your tank? The longer it has been running, the more risk there is in doing this.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain why you want to do this?

How old is your tank? The longer it has been running, the more risk there is in doing this.
11 months and Im doing this so I can increase my flow and get into SPS So i can keep them on the floors too. Plan to sell most of my softies, lps, and misc coral and get into High flow high light SPS and LPS. I will keep my hammers, plates, and a select few zoas

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11 months and Im doing this so I can increase my flow and get into SPS So i can keep them on the floors too. Plan to sell most of my softies, lps, and misc coral and get into High flow high light SPS and LPS. I will keep my hammers, plates, and a select few zoas
I would just use the rip clean methodology. Especially how small the tank is. That is how I moved my 92 corner. I tossed the sand it came with and put new sand in. It will most likely give you the best chance at success and pretty much eliminate the chance of a nutrient crash from stirring the sand.

@brandon429 is the master of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just use the rip clean methodology. Especially how small the tank is. That is how I loved my 92 corner. I tossed the sand it came with and put new sand in. It will most likely give you the best chance at success and pretty much eliminate the chance of a nutrient crash from stirring the sand.

@brandon429 is the master of this.

I read it but I can't keep everything in another tank while I change it out. I'm actually worried now since I was going to take a tiny bit out each week. Let me get more info on this

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it but I can't keep everything in another tank while I change it out. I'm actually worried now since I was going to take a tiny bit out each week. Let me get more info on this
Just use a couple 5 gallon buckets. You can probably do a full clean on your tank in 2-4 hours max. Especially since you don’t want the substrate!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't plan to add it back. Assuming I have a total sand volume 216 inches³ should I remove ¼ of that each week? Also how would I remove it? What tools?
I just vacuumed it out with each water change.

216 cubic inches is a lot of sand for a 13 gal tank.

are you sure that is correct?

if it is correct you probably should go slower, maybe over 6-8 weeks

Alternatly, and this is probably a better option, just do a rip clean.

Stick the fish and rocks and coral in a bucket, rip everything out and rely on the bac on the rocks to do their job.

that will give a full tank reset which works all the time.

do a search for rip clean

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at your build thread. I'd take two 5 gallon buckets, fill them with tank water and put rocks in them. Maybe use a large tupperware container for some of the frags. They will be fine for a few hours. Once the rock is out, shouldn't take long to remove the sand. I know that you want to avoid removing the rocks, but it is the best way especially in such a small tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't try this.

A 13 gal tank will never be stable enough to host SPS coral on a longterm basis. Yes we all see youtube videos saying how it has happened for some, but where is that tank in 5 years?

you will have a room full of equipment attempting to maintain stability in a 2 foot long tank. It is just not worth it.

If you want a tank with SPS, aim for at least 120g with a lot of bucks on supporting it.

Regards

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't try this.

A 13 gal tank will never be stable enough to host SPS coral on a longterm basis. Yes we all see youtube videos saying how it has happened for some, but where is that tank in 5 years?

you will have a room full of equipment attempting to maintain stability in a 2 foot long tank. It is just not worth it.

If you want a tank with SPS, aim for at least 120g with a lot of bucks on supporting it.

Regards
Thats the point! I'm a gear junky. It won't be longterm, only until the tank crashes eventually. I want a challenge and I feel it will be possible as long as I have an ato, auto doser, and my fine adjustment tools. All I need is the first two.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back