Removing sand when cycling

Hello and welcome to R2R!
goofy movie hello GIF
 
People routinely go bare bottom

We can do that at any time since live rock surface area is enough

can be removed at any stage. We even have threads removing entire sandbed all at once... during home moves etc or deep cleans
I use calcite in mine with almost zero porosity. I’m sure my glass, skimmer, tiny bit of sand in sump has more surface area than my rock. I (the wife) feeds the tank copious amounts (3 times a day) with zero free ammonia detected.
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)
 
How can I safely remove sand from my tank while it's cycling??
hello & welcome!

As others have already shared, since you have a fish-less cycle you have options! shop vacs pull sand & water fast (but then you can put water back after sand settles)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new