Removing scratches from Starfire glass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kouma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kouma

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Messages
47
Reaction score
12
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife unintentionally scratched up my front pane by using my algae scrubber (Tiger Shark Float). Some sand got stuck in between the glass and scrubber and you know the story.

Is there anyway to removes these scratches?
 
My wife unintentionally scratched up my front pane by using my algae scrubber (Tiger Shark Float). Some sand got stuck in between the glass and scrubber and you know the story.

Is there anyway to removes these scratches?
I just Googled your question and the 2nd thing that came up was on another reef site but the guy did remove scratches from Starphire glass but he had an empty aquarium and took a long time with a buffer, felt pad and and optical grade cerium oxide.

I have no knowledge of this technique but he shows a lot of pics as he goes along.

Dennis
 
I just Googled your question and the 2nd thing that came up was on another reef site but the guy did remove scratches from Starphire glass but he had an empty aquarium and took a long time with a buffer, felt pad and and optical grade cerium oxide.
I have tried this on a used tank that I bought and could not get any of the scratches out. I don't think the tank was starphire so that may not apply to this situation. It was a very painstaking process and I was not happy with the results so I scrapped the tank. Either way, in order to even try removing the scratch, the tank would need to be emptied for a period of time.
 
I have tried this on a used tank that I bought and could not get any of the scratches out. I don't think the tank was starphire so that may not apply to this situation. It was a very painstaking process and I was not happy with the results so I scrapped the tank. Either way, in order to even try removing the scratch, the tank would need to be emptied for a period of time.
Yep, the guy definitely had an empty 160 gal. that he got a good deal on and he was very patient and took many hours to clean his scratches up.

Starphire (low iron) is different from regular glass but I don't know if this would affect the scratch removal process.

I'm not sure if it's OK to post a link to the guy's post but here it is. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/removing-scratches-from-starphire-glass.98609/

Dennis
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new