"Renting" fish??

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what everybody's stance is on keeping juvenile fish in "smaller than recommended tanks" until it gets too big? For example, keeping a small tang until it outgrows the tank and then trading it back into the fish store? My LFS is really pushing "renting" fish for a few years and then trading them back in when they outgrow their current space. I never really thought about going that route but it seems like all the fish I want will eventually grow too big for my 60 gallon reef tank. Is there anything wrong with keeping a quarter sized tang (or any larger fish...it was a good example since people are so sensitive with the tangs :bigsmile: ) in a 60 gallon tank and then removing it as it grows to big? Yes, I know I should have bought a larger tank if I wanted larger fish....too late for that.

Looking for opinions to tell me it is or isn't a good idea.
Thanks.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd say to start with that it's your tank and therefore your decision... However, the recommended size tank is not only for adult fish...juvenile fish have the same basic behavioral patterns and needs as their adult versions. I think what your lfs is pushing is a terrible practice bc it puts their bottom line above their responsibility to the animals they are selling. Additionally, it is a "bait and switch" to begin with bc some (arguably most) people will not "rent" the fish but rather keep it once it's well beyond even what the lfs is taking about doing (which, as stated above, is a bad idea even for juvenile fish of these breeds). Also, trying to get some/most fish out of an established tank is nearly impossible without severely stressing it and/or it's tank mates...it sometimes has to be done, but I'd never buy one planning to put it through that.

If you feel you can care for the adult version of whatever fish you are considering, then like I said in my first sentence, it's your tank...but please don't "rent" a fish you don't intend to give a good home to for the rest of his life.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best laid plans. It's not a practice I would encourage. It's not always about the size of the fish, it's about the distances that a fish swims/covers in the wild. No we can't replicate every aspect of a wild fishes environment, but that is not a good reason to see how small of a volume of water we can ethically keep a fish in. There will be a ton of people that say it's fine, and practice this rent a fish idea, although perhaps inadvertently. The only thing losing out if a hobbyist does not return the fish or upgrade is the fish.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 60g I think it is a very reasonable method in keeping juvenile Tangs, Triggers and Large Angels as long as you have a good outlet for them as they outgrow said system. Not always as easy as one thinks though, currently having a hard time finding someone that has a large enough system for my Blochii Tang I collected in Hawaii that has outgrown my 125g. Being that he will grow to 16-18" full grown and needs at least a 300g but preferably even larger long term. I have in the past traded in larger Yellow and Hepatus Tangs for tiny juveniles with my LFS's. It gives them some well acclimated adults/sub-adults to sell and lets you start growing out another = Win Win.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points on both sides. As far as finding a home once the fish outgrows the tank, the LFS has been following this practice for years. There wouldn't be any issues trading the fish back in (assuming the LFS is still in business). I assume "renting" fish must take place pretty often. A lot of the fish sold would not, as adults, thrive in the majority of aquariums in homes today. Whether or not these fish are traded back in or just end up dying is a different story though. I do agree with the stress of trying to remove a fish in a reef tank....definitely wouldn't be easy on me or the fish. I, on the other hand, do not totally agree with the argument that a juvenile, 1 inch fish would need the same space as an adult 10" fish though...regardless of their behavioral patterns. If we are going to follow that logic, then none of us should be keeping reef aquariums at all. The majority of fish don't stay in the same 4-6' space on the reef.

That being said, I most likely will not buy a fish only to intend on trading it back in. I would have too hard of a time keeping a fish for a couple of years only to get rid of it. I would more than likely end up buying another, bigger tank.....which will only get me into trouble with the wife :) I was just curious what everybody thought about it.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to start with that it's your tank and therefore your decision... However, the recommended size tank is not only for adult fish...juvenile fish have the same basic behavioral patterns and needs as their adult versions. I think what your lfs is pushing is a terrible practice bc it puts their bottom line above their responsibility to the animals they are selling. Additionally, it is a "bait and switch" to begin with bc some (arguably most) people will not "rent" the fish but rather keep it once it's well beyond even what the lfs is taking about doing (which, as stated above, is a bad idea even for juvenile fish of these breeds). Also, trying to get some/most fish out of an established tank is nearly impossible without severely stressing it and/or it's tank mates...it sometimes has to be done, but I'd never buy one planning to put it through that.

If you feel you can care for the adult version of whatever fish you are considering, then like I said in my first sentence, it's your tank...but please don't "rent" a fish you don't intend to give a good home to for the rest of his life.

This this this!!!

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously stated by others will start off with it is not my place to judge what others do with their displays.

Personally I would not acquire a fish I know will severely out grow my display.
There are only so many large displays out there and most of the good ones are already stocked.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously stated by others will start off with it is not my place to judge what others do with their displays.

No worries.....I hadn't planned on doing it. I was just kind of shocked when the fish store suggested it...never really thought about it previously to that.

Trenbolone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think from a business perspective it's an excellent idea. You sell someone a fish, they bring it back and buy another etc. I can also see potential for education with this practice, as keeping a small tang or other fish temporarily allows someone with a small system the enjoyment and educational value of owning a variety of species they can't otherwise keep due to their adult size requirements.

On the other hand. I don't think it's a good idea as a whole. Many of these rented fish may parish far before they are able to be returned to the LFS. A person who "rents" the fish may be less likely to fully understand the creature, or to care about it's needs since they "are going to get rid of it anyway."

Personal opinion - understanding your livestock is the most important. Some fish tend to swim long distances and need very long tanks, others tend to cling near rock work and caves and don't necessarily need as much lateral room. I wouldn't buy a fish if I wasn't confident it would not only survive, but thrive in my care. I look at fish as I would look at any other pet or part of my family. I plan on caring for it for it's entire life.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No worries.....I hadn't planned on doing it. I was just kind of shocked when the fish store suggested it...never really thought about it previously to that.

Good call, bud. I can understand the surprise. It would shock me as a suggestion too! Happy reefing!! ;)

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you are like most hobbyists, you will get attached to your fish. It won't be easy to see them go back to a LFS, just to be sold to someone else who may not provide them proper care.

My personal opinion is only purchase fish that you can keep when it is full sized.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back