i have
watchman goby
pistol shrimp
clown wrase
flame hawk
some cleaner shrimp
a peppermint shrimp
fire shrimp

im looking for ideas for fish that will swim in the upper area of the tank. The tank is a custom Waterbox 45 gallon 36'long 18 deep i know im limited by the size of the tank. What im looking for is fish that tend to swim in the upper area of the tank something that stays small would be ideal but if it does outgrow the tank its ok i have a 110g i can move them into. any input would be greatly appreciated..

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Clownfish?? :(

But for top dwelling fish, you can go a few fire gobies

You can also do Chromis, but I highly advise against this. They can be aggressive towards each other if not in a LARGE group, and can carry uronema, a NASTY disease very very difficult to get rid of

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clown wrasse? Is that the soon to be huge Coris gaimard? Common name is so problematic. There are several wrasse that is call Clown Wrasse, the most common are wrasses in the Genus Coris which will be way-way too big for your tank.

OP
OP
WifeIsAreefNut

WifeIsAreefNut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clown wrasse? Is that the soon to be huge Coris gaimard? Common name is so problematic. There are several wrasse that is call Clown Wrasse, the most common are wrasses in the Genus Coris which will be way-way too big for your tank.
I do have another tank. Actually 2 tanks a 110.4 and a 190.5 I can move IF needed. Just looking for ideas for fish that are active swimmers. This tank is in my living room id like to see fish swimming. If they outgrow this tank i will move them. But thank you for your concern.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They take the shrimp out when the shrimp is molting and defenseless.

For 45 gal, a pair of smaller Dwarf angels, in the Xiphypops genus would do well. These are the smallest of angels like Cherub, Flameback, Fireball, Atlantic and Pacific Pygmy angels. They are small, very active and very beautiful.
Here is a thread on my Flameback angel in my 65 gal tank. This Clade of angels recently rename/separate to Xiphypops instead of remained in Centropyges with the rest of the Dwarf Angels.

A very well written article on these angels:

Last edited:

Seattlguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a couple red stripe cardinal. They are really active, eat out of my hands! I picked up 3, 1 hangs in the back, but the other 2 are always up front and in the top 3rd. I also have a pr of clowns and 2 fire goby

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back