Replaced ALL filter media all at once

TheClemsonKid20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad thought he was being super helpful while I was on vacation (and he was pet/fish sitting). I have an AquaClear 50 HOB filter for my 18 nano reef tank. While I was gone, he decided to replace all three filter media with new ones (sponge, carbon, rocks) for me. He said “there were all these little worms squiggling around so i saw you had new replacements so i just changed them all out” He was very proud of himself. And I appreciate the thought…

but now I’m afraid he may have taken all the good cycled bacteria in the old filter media and flushed it down the drain.

I have about 25# of well cycled live rock, plus 10# of well cycled live sand. The only livestock I currently have are a pair of Darwin clown, a linear goby and a cleaner shrimp. I want to have the tank set up at least a year before I start the coral game. (It’s been up about six months currently).

Anyways. MY QUESTION: Should I be concerned that the cycle is gonna be all messed up now from dumping the filter media? Thanks!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be concerned. Just keep testing, monitor, subtle adjustments as needed, and enjoy. :D

Chris Farley Hello GIF

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worse than being on vacation and the caretaker gets this INSPIRATION to do things not asked of them.

I can't explain it...but its been the death of many tanks.

I mean... you ask your neighbor to cut your grass while you are out of town but you NEVER come back to a whole new landscaping job....

I don't get it why ppl lose their wits with tanks.

Skipbacon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine did this to his 29g back in the 90s and he just monitored everything closely and had no fatalities. Good luck.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad thought he was being super helpful while I was on vacation (and he was pet/fish sitting). I have an AquaClear 50 HOB filter for my 18 nano reef tank. While I was gone, he decided to replace all three filter media with new ones (sponge, carbon, rocks) for me. He said “there were all these little worms squiggling around so i saw you had new replacements so i just changed them all out” He was very proud of himself. And I appreciate the thought…

but now I’m afraid he may have taken all the good cycled bacteria in the old filter media and flushed it down the drain.

I have about 25# of well cycled live rock, plus 10# of well cycled live sand. The only livestock I currently have are a pair of Darwin clown, a linear goby and a cleaner shrimp. I want to have the tank set up at least a year before I start the coral game. (It’s been up about six months currently).

Anyways. MY QUESTION: Should I be concerned that the cycle is gonna be all messed up now from dumping the filter media? Thanks!

The rock and sand should keep things going, and repopulate the old media. Could have been an issue if the tank were younger or more heavily stocked.

Watch free ammonia levels and if necessary use Prime or similar to detoxify until the tank stabilises.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back