Replacement Apex DOS head on a GHL maxi?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found several different spec models of these dosing heads on aliexpress. They seem to be made by a company called honlite. I’ve thought about ordering some to try, since I now have 3 maxi dosers, but never pulled the trigger. The specs seem at least partly based on the number of rollers? Now with corona virus we all might have a hard time getting replacements for a bit.
B81E212A-2280-4DB6-96AB-0385BD670564.png
That’s a darn good price too.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a darn good price too.

Yeah it is. I’ve found some as low as $6. It’s the shipping that kills ya from China. Have to order a lot to make it worth it really. I was gonna order like 50-100 units, but always chickened out and bought a pair from GHL USA. Lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you. I was here early this week, when I was doing my research for my setup

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait so when you buy new dos heads does it have more than 2 rollers? Both of my older dos units only have 2 rollers per head...

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested in a noise comparision between the 2/3/4?? roller versions as well.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so when you buy new dos heads does it have more than 2 rollers? Both of my older dos units only have 2 rollers per head...

Nope, only has 2 rollers.

I would be interested in a noise comparision between the 2/3/4?? roller versions as well.

Let's face it, the DOS couldn't get that much louder... Could it? They banned a customer from their support group for posting a video of the DOS with a decibel meter next to it...

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, only has 2 rollers.

Let's face it, the DOS couldn't get that much louder... Could it? They banned a customer from their support group for posting a video of the DOS with a decibel meter next to it...
The GHL is fairly loud too.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who's run them both with a decibel meter on them. Honestly, there's no contest... lol
No contest because they are the same or no contest because 1 is clearly louder than the other?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost 2 years since I posted in this thread. 8/4/22

The Maxi doser is much quieter than the DOS. This is one reason I switch to the Maxi doser for my AWC.

Today I notice that my salinity was way high. After doing some investigation, I found that one of my head, was not drawing waist water from the sump. The other side was just filling with new saltwater.

I just so happen to have my old DOS mounted above the Maxi in case/backup.

I pulled one of the head off the DOS and switch out one of the Maxi heads and I am back in business. FYI, each head for a Neptune replacement cap is $35.00. There are several online retailer that carrie them. Check around to see how has them and not. Online retailers I just ordered to Neptune heads, I could not find the OEM heads for GHL.

The example listed earlier in this thread, that was $11.00 is not $12.00 with a 62 shipping and handling fee for China.

DBFB38D1-E7DA-4271-8758-51E373AD4C88.jpeg

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost 2 years since I posted in this thread. 8/4/22

The Maxi doser is much quieter than the DOS. This is one reason I switch to the Maxi doser for my AWC.

Today I notice that my salinity was way high. After doing some investigation, I found that one of my head, was not drawing waist water from the sump. The other side was just filling with new saltwater.

I just so happen to have my old DOS mounted above the Maxi in case/backup.

I pulled one of the head off the DOS and switch out one of the Maxi heads and I am back in business. FYI, each head for a Neptune replacement cap is $35.00. There are several online retailer that carrie them. Check around to see how has them and not. Online retailers I just ordered to Neptune heads, I could not find the OEM heads for GHL.

The example listed earlier in this thread, that was $11.00 is not $12.00 with a 62 shipping and handling fee for China.

DBFB38D1-E7DA-4271-8758-51E373AD4C88.jpeg
Great confirmation that the heads are interchangeable. I sold my Maxi a long time ago and put the Litermeter back on - no frills but it just does what it's supposed to (and I can't hear it).

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the fittings are on the ends of the DOS head (that attach to the tubing inside)? I cut the tips of mine off to use the John Guest fittings, but they don't do a good job of keeping a seal so the DOS often needs to re-prime itself. I'd like to go back to the normal fittings but can't find DOS heads in stock anywhere.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the fittings are on the ends of the DOS head (that attach to the tubing inside)? I cut the tips of mine off to use the John Guest fittings, but they don't do a good job of keeping a seal so the DOS often needs to re-prime itself. I'd like to go back to the normal fittings but can't find DOS heads in stock anywhere.
Do you want fitting to use John Guest tubing on the doser?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update,

Even through the DOS heads fit, I got about 6 moths out one of the heads before I need to replace the head. The two rollers may ware fast then the four roller head.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back