Replacement Apex DOS head on a GHL maxi?

AZMSGT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I compared a GHL Maxi replacement head to a picture of a Apex Neptune DOS replacement head. They look identical accept for the color. Also the DOS uses a 4 wheel configuration when GHL only uses a three wheel configuration. Guessing 4 wheel is more precise?

GHL charges $10 more per unit and you can only order a new head from GHL USA or GHL europe so you are stuck with their shipping rate.

The Apex head can be bought all over the place and is typically at the free shipping threshold.

If I have anymore problems with my GHL Maxi head I’ll try the APEX head instead. However if anyone has both I would be interested to know if the APEX head fits the Maxi.

Last edited:

frcarvajal

View Badges
Reaction score
I dont think they'll fit. GHL Maxi head is BIG. The neptune head seems smaller.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I run a DOS on my tank and each head on my unit only uses 2 rollers, not 4.
Have a set of calipers and willing to help OP out? :D

I compared a GHL Maxi replacement head to a picture of a Apex Neptune DOS replacement head. They look identical accept for the color.
I've been curious as well if they are compatible, sure look close enough in pics, good question!

frcarvajal

View Badges
Reaction score
I run GHL Maxi and I've seen my friend's DOS and GHL maxi is bigger.

frcarvajal

View Badges
Reaction score
Butttt I'll follow this thread in case someone confirms 100%. IF it fits, bingo lol.

Water Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If anything, I would think that if they’re compatible, the Maxi 3 roller head would be an upgrade over the DOS 2 roller head for Neptune DOS users.

Unless someone beats me to it, I’ll take some measurements after work, later this evening.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If anything, I would think that if they’re compatible, the Maxi 3 roller head would be an upgrade over the DOS 2 roller head for Neptune DOS users.
It's been a long time since I had a DOS, but maybe there's been a revision? From the pic, are these the 4 rollers OP is referencing? The ones at the 3 and 9 position may be just casting marks...

Annotation 2020-02-06 114234.jpg

Water Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Unless they’ve changed something recently, my fairly recent December 2018 built DOS definitely has 2 rollers per head. In fact, I do recall some discussions that I’ve been involved with in the past where we discussed sourcing upgraded 4 roller internal head parts from Avast Marine in order to improve the 2 roller DOS Head.

Kyl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm using them till I find buyers for the last two DOS that don't mind the JG fittings being installed. I never looked at actual roller counts, just that they fit.

Water Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, there you have it. The Apex head fits the GHL.

I just ordered those John Guest fittings too.
Once you get them in, please let us know how many rollers you have in each head. I’m curious to know if Neptune recently improved their head design from 2 rollers to 4.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
I just pulled the head off of one of one of my DOS units to confirm, but by the time I got to the end of the thread to post, you'd got there... lol.

For what it's worth, as a Neptune and GHL owner, the spec & quality is always likely to be better on a GHL model.

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 329 60.9%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 134 24.8%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 82 15.2%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 357 66.1%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 54 10.0%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 351 65.0%