Neptune dos/ghl maxi doser replacement pump tubing source?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being visually challenged I can’t measure what the dimensions are of the pump tubing. A whole head is like forty bones and seems to be wasteful as the cap doesn’t wear. Just the roller assembly, which avast sells for cheap, and the tubing. I found a couple websites that sell precut tubing for the ghl maxi which has the same head as the dos, but shipping is prohibitive. Anyone have a link for either bulk or precut tubing from a source that is reasonable like Amazon or a vendor that has other supplies that I could hit the free shipping mark like BRS, salt water aquarium, marine and reef or similar? Thanks….I did search if it’s been brought up before but I couldn’t find anything.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being visually challenged I can’t measure what the dimensions are of the pump tubing. A whole head is like forty bones and seems to be wasteful as the cap doesn’t wear. Just the roller assembly, which avast sells for cheap, and the tubing. I found a couple websites that sell precut tubing for the ghl maxi which has the same head as the dos, but shipping is prohibitive. Anyone have a link for either bulk or precut tubing from a source that is reasonable like Amazon or a vendor that has other supplies that I could hit the free shipping mark like BRS, salt water aquarium, marine and reef or similar? Thanks….I did search if it’s been brought up before but I couldn’t find anything.
I literally just ordered this yesterday, from BRS, as GHL charges more for shipping than I paid for the product.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just ordered this yesterday, from BRS, as GHL charges more for shipping than I paid for the product.
I only found the kit for the ghl maxi 2 on the BRS site. I found the kit for the original maxi which is the same head as the dos, from what I think is ghl and the shipping is ridiculous!

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the right stuff: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25399&catid=864

Referenced in a couple of threads:

FYI, there have been reports of the plastic cap/housing cracking after time. I suspect the heads could be rebuilt a time or two but will need to be replaced eventually.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the right stuff: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25399&catid=864

FYI, there have been reports of the plastic cap/housing cracking after time. I suspect the heads could be rebuilt a time or two but will need to be replaced eventually.
Oh man, thanks for providing a direct link. I’m relatively new to not seeing enough to read and use a screen reader. It’s freaking impossible to navigate and sort through threads to find things especially when a lot of comments are not on target. I had attempted to read those threads when I searched but gave up when people were talking about rodi tubing and John guest fittings. Thanks a million! I’m going to order that up now along with rollers from avast

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tubing you linked above arrived today and it’s identical in case anyone has any doubts. Thank you again.

For anyone else reading this…. I ordered five feet and rebuilt eight dos heads. With five feet there’s enough to do eleven heads with a couple inches left over. The length to cut them is 145mm or 5.7in. You need four inch zip ties and dielectric grease. It’s also the perfect time to flush and blow out your lines and install the John guest push to connect fittings if you haven’t already.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the firsthand confirmation and the length information. Great work.

Does anyone know if the Avast Marine replacement rollers calibrate differently? Being they are four roller vs. two roller like the original.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the firsthand confirmation and the length information. Great work.

Does anyone know if the Avast Marine replacement rollers calibrate differently? Being they are four roller vs. two roller like the original.
Mine recalibrated just fine with the avast roller assembly. It might be off if you just swapped without calibrating though. If I were to guess, with nothing to back it up other than a hunch, is that the avast pumps slightly less per revolution as the extra rollers block off the tubing in more places.

It is a little trickier getting the avast roller assembly and tube in without pinching….especially if you can’t see well, but I could be doing it wrong. For me, I install the tube with fittings into the housing first, then pull up on the tubing and place it over the roller while gently squeezing the roller and tubing into place. I used the back end of a spoon to help push the tubing between the housing and rollers and into place. There’s probably a better way but with my limitations this works out well.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bonus! If you have a Kamoer FX-STP2 it’s the same tubing. I had just replaced mine with the Kamoer replacement tube from BRS but kept the old one. I replaced the tubing as it’s exactly the same tubing as the dos just cut shorter.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back