Replacement DOS dosing head alternative

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Orange dosing head units on my Neptune DOS doesn't work properly. It's not intaking any fluid. I used another dos head from a spare one I had laying around and it works again. I figure it is just the tubing or wheel. After looking up replacement heads they are $40 for one. Seems steep for something that is flimsy plastic and rubber, but it is what it is.

Before I buy a brand new head to replace the one I used. I want to know if there is anyone that can find an off brand that's cheaper? I'm assuming Neptune orders these from somewhere for cheap and has orange plastic face front to make it go along with their color scheme. Or if there is a reliable way to just replace the wheel and tubing that won't cause any problems with the unit? Any advice for alternatives?

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if these would work. I don't know enough about the specs of f the pump

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-05-08-22-19-92_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-05-08-22-19-92_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2023-12-05-08-22-07-68_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-05-08-22-07-68_a04944f99a062af0791c9039e89fa6b9.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 35

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They're made by

Dongguan Honlite Industrial Co., Ltd.

but you won't find any for cheaper than $40. If its just the tube that is busted you can just replace that.

I can’t access that site for some reason.

I just wish I could find a replacement motor that doesn’t sound like a broken garbage disposal.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue is shipping. It's really expensive. Even though the parts are cheap. The only way to make it work would be a massive order

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy the $40 head. You can get them off aliexpress but shipping is $50 so why bother.

You can also get the motor and head off there for about $110 shipped, but at that point your half way to a used DOS

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, now I feel like I'm getting ripped off by Neptune lol. It's a $10 replacement assembly that sells for quadruple the price in the states. If only shipping wasn't so much. I saw a kamoer fx STP wifi pump for $100. Usually goes for $329. Gotta love cheap Chinese products supplying the companies of America

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, now I feel like I'm getting ripped off by Neptune lol. It's a $10 replacement assembly that sells for quadruple the price in the states. If only shipping wasn't so much. I saw a kamoer fx STP wifi pump for $100. Usually goes for $329. Gotta love cheap Chinese products supplying the companies of America
If you really want to get ripped off buy their $30 optical sensors that cost about $1 if you make on your own.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast marine sells a replacement rotor and the tubing can be bought by the foot from us plastics. Perfect time to upgrade to the John guest quick disconnects while you rebuild the head too, as well as flush out your dosing lines (especially for awc as deposits clog the lines over time). I keep two spare heads at all times. That way I can just hot swap when needed. I replace my awc heads once a year and my dosing heads every other year. Rollers last several years for me on my awc, it’s really only the tubing that I replace.

Last edited:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast marine sells a replacement rotor and the tubing can be bought by the foot from us plastics. Perfect time to upgrade to the John guest quick disconnects while you rebuild the head too, as well as flush out your dosing lines (especially for awc as deposits clog the lines over time). I keep two spare heads at all times. That way I can just hot swap when needed. I replace my awc heads once a year and my dosing heads every other year. Rollers last several years for me on my awc, it’s really only the tubing that I replace.

Can the motors themselves be purchased anywhere?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dosing on the Left Intermittently worked. Replaced the Motor that included the head, for about 10.50 on Amazon. Had to do a bit of Soldering.

frasers4th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the John Guest fittings to the tips of the heads really worth it?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the John Guest fittings to the tips of the heads really worth it?
Technically totally unnecessary but worthwhile all the same. Super quick and easy to swap heads, flush lines, calibrate. Really, how often do I disconnect the lines…. Like once a year max. Do I regret spending the money for those fittings after three years, absolutely not. Worth every penny for me. One could go without them forever, but they sure are convenient.

frasers4th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically totally unnecessary but worthwhile all the same. Super quick and easy to swap heads, flush lines, calibrate. Really, how often do I disconnect the lines…. Like once a year max. Do I regret spending the money for those fittings after three years, absolutely not. Worth every penny for me. One could go without them forever, but they sure are convenient.
Thank you I’m probably gonna make the change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back