Replacement oump for hob aquaready skimmer?

Muddyrockfarm

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Location
44062
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got one of these from bulkreefsupply on holiday sale. I have one from a couple years ago working great.
New one, the pump is not string enough to even suck water up the pipe and into the unit. It only works if submerged. Obviously that wont work. I even tried plumbers tape in all the connections in case it that and no luck.
I tried to return it and it says not returnable because it was on sale so guess I spent $250 for a useless skimmer unless I can find another pump.
Are there any pumps that will work as a replacement? Everything seems sold out.
 
I recently got one of these from bulkreefsupply on holiday sale. I have one from a couple years ago working great.
New one, the pump is not string enough to even suck water up the pipe and into the unit. It only works if submerged. Obviously that wont work. I even tried plumbers tape in all the connections in case it that and no luck.
I tried to return it and it says not returnable because it was on sale so guess I spent $250 for a useless skimmer unless I can find another pump.
Are there any pumps that will work as a replacement? Everything seems sold out.
Are you sure its not just air locked.....are you sure it has enough water poured in it too work......most need to be mostly full or water to start working. Got a picture of the hob skimmer your talking about
 
Try holding your finger over the air tubing to make it purge the air and get the pump to start pumping.
Looks like it has Sicce needle-wheel pump so i dont think the pump is the problem. Those pumps are pretty bullet proof
 
Last edited:
Are you sure its not just air locked.....are you sure it has enough water poured in it too work......most need to be mostly full or water to start working. Got a picture of the hob skimmer your talking about
Its not air locked. I even tried it in my full tub to submerge it fully. It only works if I fully submerge and get all air out of the pipe.
And I do have another if the same thats works fine so I do know how to put it together ect.
 
Try holding your finger over the air tubing to make it purge the air and get the pump to start pumping
I had tried that. It simply cannot get water up the pipe. If I disconnect the pipe entirely it will work
 
well maybe its damage and why it was on sale..☹️
Im thinking so but kinda rude for a big place like bulk reef supply to do that. Im gonna call Monday but on my order number after buying it said not returnable. But dang it should at least work out of the box. And the kicker is i cant find a compatible pump.
 
I recently got one of these from bulkreefsupply on holiday sale. I have one from a couple years ago working great.
New one, the pump is not string enough to even suck water up the pipe and into the unit. It only works if submerged. Obviously that wont work. I even tried plumbers tape in all the connections in case it that and no luck.
I tried to return it and it says not returnable because it was on sale so guess I spent $250 for a useless skimmer unless I can find another pump.
Are there any pumps that will work as a replacement? Everything seems sold out.
check and see if the impeller is broke or missing or seated fully and spins easily
 
Im thinking so but kinda rude for a big place like bulk reef supply to do that. Im gonna call Monday but on my order number after buying it said not returnable. But dang it should at least work out of the box. And the kicker is i cant find a compatible pump.
I Always avoid them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new