Replacement pump parts for RLSS r6i (discontinued)

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for some R2R wisdom regarding an old skimmer that I have from a while back, the RLSS r6i. When I bought it, it came with the Waveline DC 3000 and seemed fine for the most part. I was given an upgrade to the Waveline DC 4000 by Salty Supply (now defunct) but never installed it. I’m building a new reef tank and I’d prefer not to have to buy another $400 skimmer or needlessly waste this one, so I’m trying to get this one be in operational condition.

Basically my issue is that the DC 4000 pump that I have may have rust issues as mentioned here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2360803). This is because my pump was manufactured before this defect was known. The screws are definitely titanium, but the housing may have stainless steel screw bushings. Is there a way to test to see if the bushings really are stainless steel? I tried a magnet but neither the screws or the bushing stick; however, stainless steel isn’t necessarily magnetic. If they are stainless steel is there a way I can remove the bushings and replace them with titanium ones? I have a spare volute, but it’s for a return pump configuration and not skimmer. I’m not quite sure how I can modify it to work with the skimmer.

I’ve contacted the two main distributors of RLSS skimmers from back in the day: Premium Aquatics and Aquarium Specialty, but neither has gotten back to me. I’ve also reached out to RLSS directly, but I doubt I’ll get a response since their website hasn’t been updated since 2015

The other option would be to potentially find a compatible pump, but there really isn’t any information available on these skimmers to begin with so I wouldn’t know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’d be glad to post pictures of the skimmer if it helps.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just sent both the coralvue support and Ricardo emails. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue responded in the negative, stating saying that they aren't authorized to sell or support waveline products and that I should email daniel at rlss, which I already did.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea it is a great skimmer too, I am running one right now. I actually am using that one and a larger one.
I believe the Jebeo pumps were based of the RLSS skimmers, so maybe one would fit from one of the other skimmers that use Jabeo pump.
Maybe a Jabeo pump would accept the magnet and needle wheel?

I would look for a Dc pump around the same l/ph air which I think was around 1000 lph

Is the pump the issue or the controller?

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Simplicity skimmer pumps. The Waveline pumps were essentially Chinese made DC pumps as are the Simplicity pumps. Perhaps you can find a Simplicity skimmer pump that will match your RLSS r6i.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was looking specifically at the VCS2000-DC because that does look at least very similar, but I haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized I never got back to you all for all of your help! Daniel from RLSS actually got back to me about a week after I emailed him. He didn't have any more of the DC4000 skimmer volutes but suggested I modify the return pump volute to be compatible with the skimmer. And so that's what I did. Attached are the files. It looks sloppier in the pictures, but I sanded down everything to make it at least as smooth as possible.

First two are originals (left being the skimmer, right being the return)
The last two are the modified return volute so that it fits in the skimmer. The skimmer seems to be functioning normally. It would be nice to have some peace of mind and know where I can get a replacement needle-wheel impeller.

IMG_20190624_171123.jpg IMG_20190624_170853.jpg IMG_20190822_210503.jpg IMG_20190822_210612.jpg

Digh0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized I never got back to you all for all of your help! Daniel from RLSS actually got back to me about a week after I emailed him. He didn't have any more of the DC4000 skimmer volutes but suggested I modify the return pump volute to be compatible with the skimmer. And so that's what I did. Attached are the files. It looks sloppier in the pictures, but I sanded down everything to make it at least as smooth as possible.

First two are originals (left being the skimmer, right being the return)
The last two are the modified return volute so that it fits in the skimmer. The skimmer seems to be functioning normally. It would be nice to have some peace of mind and know where I can get a replacement needle-wheel impeller.

IMG_20190624_171123.jpg IMG_20190624_170853.jpg IMG_20190822_210503.jpg IMG_20190822_210612.jpg Which
Which pump did you end up going with that you then modified the volute? I LOVE my 6i, pump went out on me a year + ago, and I got a reef octopus 110sss that I just hate, it barely skims and I cant control it very well. I kept the body and pump of the 6i, so I have nothing to lose in trying to modify it and get it to work. THanks

Digh0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the DC4000 Waveline.
Your first pump was having rust issues. Did you get a second compatible model and then cut to adjust the volute? Did you use the same pinwheel impeller as was in your Dc4000 or did you find a compatible skimmer pump? Thanks, just trying to keep this really good skimmer going. I did message Daniel and he just said waveline is no longer available, and mentioned that they had moved up to the DC6000 model in the 6i. I looked and the 4/6 both had the same footprint. So, I was looking at the Jebao DC6000 and it has a very similar footprint and I can trim the volute, but not sure about the pinwheel impeller. Thanks man, any info is appreciated.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rust issue was specifically with the volute. The screws holding the volute to the pump were stainless steel instead of titanium. So in my case, I just needed to change the volute, with titanium screws, from a non-skimmer dc4000 (which I was able to buy on ebay some time ago) so that it fits on my existing dc4000 skimmer.

Digh0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks sir! Sorry, for any confusion I may have had :) Have a great day.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen amazing reef tanks and at the end they pull them apart to find a screw rusted inside their reef octopus skimmer.
Gfo is essentially dry rust is it not?
-d

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen amazing reef tanks and at the end they pull them apart to find a screw rusted inside their reef octopus skimmer.
Gfo is essentially dry rust is it not?
-d

Gfo is different because it pure iron with no impurities. Metals, alloys etc have impurities in like copper when they rust.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back