Replacement Skimmer Pump

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations for a replacement skimmer pump. I have a ~10 year old Reef Octo Pro 300 (long since discontinued). Twice previously I have bought a Laguna pond pump to swap out the motor block when the pump failed but now it looks like my cheap/quick fix option is now also discontinued. For reference, the skimmer body is 8.5” is diameter and 21.5” tall (total height with cup). Looking at the pumps used on some other similar sized skimmers, I’m thinking about a Varios 4 or a bubble blaster 3000.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a Sicce - They make some pretty good skimmer pumps. Make sure you get one meant for a skimmer = that comes with the venturi attachment for the air hose to connect to. I use one on my Vertex 180 - so far quiet , reliable. And I had to rig up my venturi ( failed to notice the two types before I ordered )- so I am sure it would be even better if you use the specific venturi attachment made for the pump.

OP
OP
LobsterOfJustice

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not - what is the diameter of your skimmer body? Trying to get an idea of what size pump I need for my skimmer. Also where did you buy the skimmer configured pumps from?

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wasn't configured. My skimmer is the old vertex style , I am pretty sure it's 8-9 inch diameter body and 22-23 tall. I will look which model pump I have when I get home from work, yours will be different because you should order the one designed for a skimmer = has attachment for Venturi. I am pretty sure I got it from Marine Depot.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back