Replacing failed Red Sea Reefer 350 with new waterbox or another RSR?

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As a new owner of a RSR 525G2+, if my tank fails out of warranty, I would switch to an Innovative Marine without hesitation. No use crying over spilled milk. My nano is a 15G Nuvo and I feel like it's worth much more than the $100 they'reselling it for. Also, by the time my warranty runs out, Innovative Marine would have already made a rollermat compatible sump, which was the reason why I went with Red Sea in the first place. Would just get a new tank and transfer all my cool Red Sea accessories. The reefmat and ATO+ unit is SOOOO NICE.

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Why would you go with the same brand again. Once my SCA leaked I actually thought about replacing it with a discounted new one they offered me. But then again I couldn’t live with that . That’s just me ! Waterbox i would say is a good idea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow.

So a company should only handle their new products when they can cause damage and major loss? Let's take what was mentioned a couple of post above this one, airbags. You aware of the Takata airbag recall? That is a very good example of why a company needs to man up instead of burying the negative media against their product. Millions of cars had airbags that had this issue, shards of airbag material that was changed under heat and humidity had a likely hood of exploding. Should only registered users of those cars that were under warranty been the ones that were allowed to get their cars repaired? What would have happened if Ford and Mazda tried to bury those stories? You tell me @MnFish1 why Red Sea is locking only the threads that have negative comments on their tanks? Why would a company leave open positive commented post and lock every single negative post on their site? What does it say about a company that cannot tolerate criticism of their product?
FWIW - I didn't say many of the things you're mentioning in this post. Some companies have warranties that are transferrable, some companies do not. Some companies have warranties for a year, some more. So - to answer your question - I do not believe Redsea has any kind of duty to take care of a tank that is bought used. Now, do I think thats the best business practice - Possibly not.

To answer your second question, my guess is that their Facebook group is not designed as a forum for complaints or issues with products. I mean - I don't work for RedSea - so I can't answer for them. But - let's face it - its widely known that many reviews (both positive and negative) - are not 'real'. The other reason - RedSea has a Facebook group as a marketing device, it's not designed as a complaint forum. But - I guess the final answer (to me) is that they can do what they want - whether I, you or anyone else agrees with it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not under the the Red Sea Max and Reefers group, the leak threads are there just locked. This group is owned by Red Sea also...

Shall I keep going?

Capture.JPG Capture.JPG Capture.JPG Capture.JPG
Right - so - they aren't deleting negative posts (at least on all of their pages) - they just don't want commenting.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its too scary for them to allow open forum commenting is the bet. getting comments live time, unfiltered, based solely on results is what makes work threads so fun (invasion fix threads worked outbound, cycles, tank transfers, tank changes, coral growth tricks)

insulation from account is a sign of weakness on the digital street.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone: go look at waterbox or any other tank maker, see if their comments on fb are closed/truly curious. post the link here so we can see it. Its fun to compare red sea to other trends currently underway. I have been impressed with BRS's open comments allowed on their media pages, for example. other than outright cursing in comments/things anyone would regulate/ they're pretty open format for sure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow.

So a company should only handle their new products when they can cause damage and major loss? Let's take what was mentioned a couple of post above this one, airbags. You aware of the Takata airbag recall? That is a very good example of why a company needs to man up instead of burying the negative media against their product. Millions of cars had airbags that had this issue, shards of airbag material that was changed under heat and humidity had a likely hood of exploding. Should only registered users of those cars that were under warranty been the ones that were allowed to get their cars repaired? What would have happened if Ford and Mazda tried to bury those stories? You tell me @MnFish1 why Red Sea is locking only the threads that have negative comments on their tanks? Why would a company leave open positive commented post and lock every single negative post on their site? What does it say about a company that cannot tolerate criticism of their product?
PS there are specific laws covering these issues - and there are benefits available in some states that go beyond the original warranty. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/05/the-word-on-warranty-protection/index.htm

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its too scary for them to allow open forum commenting is the bet. getting comments live time, unfiltered, based solely on results is what makes work threads so fun (invasion fix threads worked outbound, cycles, tank transfers, tank changes, coral growth tricks)

insulation from account is a sign of weakness on the digital street.
I would suggest people review the better business bureau comments from the various aquarium manufacturers. I don't want to call any one company out - but there are a lot of interesting popping up - with multiple manufacturers from what I can see

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest people review the better business bureau comments from the various aquarium manufacturers. I don't want to call any one company out - but there are a lot of interesting popping up - with multiple manufacturers from what I can see
The BBB is a farce. Companies just need to pay for their ratings.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The BBB is a farce. Companies just need to pay for their ratings.
Except - most of the posts are complaints lol. And in many of the cases - the companies responded kind of snakily - like - it's not our responsibility. So - are the companies paying for complaints? Most of the posts and responses are complaints.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back