Replacing failed Red Sea Reefer 350 with new waterbox or another RSR?

danielankeny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea

you may have been able to sweep this under the rug prior, but not for long.

that for example doesn't warn anything.
At least it comes with a leak detector now

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for that really, we want you to enjoy it since you have the time and money invested

if it helps any, DJ City here is a years long Red Sea user who didn’t have any trouble so far

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within 48 hours: we did not need ten days. Prediction held, this is dangerous.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Reefer 350 (original version) that failed after 5 years with a catastrophic seem failure. I contacted Red Sea and the best they would do is to give me 33% off the price of a new G2 RSR 350 ($790).

I'm looking to replace the tank with either a Red Sea Reefer 425 xl G2 ($2999 - $790) or I am considering the newly released Waterbox Infina 150 (basically same dimensions and price is also $2999 without a discount). I have a custom trigger platinum sump already on the reefer with roller mat and plan to use it on the new tank and put custom plumbing on it.

Would you guys trust another Red Sea tank after what happened? I heard the G2s are better. I'm torn on if the discount is worth the risk
I already know how to upgrade the plumbing in Red Sea tanks. Are WBs just as easy to upgrade? Do you like the cabinet design? I have a full apex control and controller board in the RSR 350 currently. I have a few pumps screwed into the side walls on the RSR cabinet. Is the open cabinet on the WB a plus or minus in your opinion?
Two more seam failures today alone on RedSea tanks on R2R. I would pick another brand. One of the tanks is a G2 already failing.

Go acrylic and sleep better! The seams are chemically welded using solvent or a two part polymerization process. No silicone for the seams at all.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just matter of time and Watebox will have same issues! IM had some with small tanks ,right? How should we trust new models?
These days: Glass Cages, Planet , Cda are only options.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Within 48 hours: we did not need ten days. Prediction held, this is dangerous.

What is odd to me - is that a person without a tank - keeps wanting to talk about cycling - and merchandise problems.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s just matter of time and Watebox will have same issues! IM had some with small tanks ,right? How should we trust new models?
These days: Glass Cages, Planet , Cda are only options.
Agree - IMHO - every manufacturer has the same issues.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree - IMHO - every manufacturer has the same issues.

Seriously? Nah dude.

You now what is telling? I joined the Facebook Redsea group last week just to see what people are talking about. There are so many failures it is ridiculous. When people post pictures or videos of the failures, and it is extensive, they lock the thread....every....single....time.

I know you are a Red Sea owner, so was I. It is almost like you are defending them at this point hoping your tank does not bust. I hope your tank does not bust, but mine did. Do not minimize this issue. This is a substantial issue and it is leaning toward Red Sea, just by the pure numbers. No other manufacturer is seeing this amount of failures. You want to see how many seam failures get locked on Facebook? I can sure post them.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is odd to me - is that a person without a tank - keeps wanted to talk about cycling - and merchandise problems.
Why does that matter? Can you not have knowledge without currently having a tank? Do you need to have a tank to follow trends? Really weird prerequisite you require for someone to speak on a subject or be curious about it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously? Nah dude.

You now what is telling? I joined the Facebook Redsea group last week just to see what people are talking about. There are so many failures it is ridiculous. When people post pictures or videos of the failures, and it is extensive, they lock the thread....every....single....time.

I know you are a Red Sea owner, so was I. It is almost like you are defending them at this point hoping your tank does not bust. I hope your tank does not bust, but mine did. Do not minimize this issue. This is a substantial issue and it is leaning toward Red Sea, just by the pure numbers. No other manufacturer is seeing this amount of failures. You want to see how many seam failures get locked on Facebook? I can sure post them.
Nope - I don't see the science behind the failures - for example - your tank - was used - who knows - maybe it was leaking beforehand. Sorry - not trying to be offensive. I'm not defending anyone - I asked some questions to determine what the true cause of the problem was. Again - unless you have some data that shows that redsea tanks are worse than marineland - or another brand - I don't care. Thats just me. To figure out the risk - one needs to know the number of failed tanks compared to the successful ones - compared brand to brand. Let's redefine it - Tanks that you bought as the original owner, that had a problem. Not a used tank (which may have had a hidden defect)?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously? Nah dude.

PS - BTW - I was under the impression that REdsea was deleting and removing all complaints about their tanks. Yet - you say they're a multiple on Facebook. I guess I my mind I say - who is correct?

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope - I don't see the science behind the failures - for example - your tank - was used - who knows - maybe it was leaking beforehand. Sorry - not trying to be offensive. I'm not defending anyone - I asked some questions to determine what the true cause of the problem was. Again - unless you have some data that shows that redsea tanks are worse than marineland - or another brand - I don't care. Thats just me. To figure out the risk - one needs to know the number of failed tanks compared to the successful ones - compared brand to brand. Let's redefine it - Tanks that you bought as the original owner, that had a problem. Not a used tank (which may have had a hidden defect)?

My tank was leaking beforehand? Hold on, I had my tank for two years....two years and you think my tank could had been leaking beforehand. Are you really serious? Now I think you are a troll. I would not notice my tank was leaking? As I said before, you cannot even fathom this experience unless your tank does what ours did.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why does that matter? Can you not have knowledge without currently having a tank? Do you need to have a tank to follow trends? Really weird prerequisite you require for someone to speak on a subject or be curious about it.
It matters to me. 1. If you don't have a tank - what is the reason for the repeated posts - I have a tank (2 RedSea tanks) - I don't want to debate with someone that has a goldfish bowl - I would rather hear about people with the actual tanks and their experience. IMHO - No - to your second question. This is just another 'I'll make a post that is going to stimulate discussion - with no knowledge. I didn't require anything - I will say you're weird - for calling me out LOL. I made no prerequisites. I just made the point that a certain person - has no skin in this game - yet has posted on many threads - and I guess my question is 'why'

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back