Replacing gate valve.... help

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I plumed my return I used a true union ball valve. It is really hard to get the right amount of water flowing. It’s always either too low in the overflow or too high and going down my emergency. I haven’t found any true union gate valves, how can I add one without cutting anything or lowering the plumbing too much into the sump by adding a union.

image.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to add separate unions to the gate valve. Then just cut out as much of the pipe as necessary to keep the bottom end at the same depth. Hard to tell exactly how much clearance you have - may need to get a PVC ratchet cutter.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you find one the take-out (length of the valve) will be different. I would suggest looking for a good gate valve then just cutting it in and re-glueing.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to adjust the overflow height so that just a trickle is going down your emergency drain. It will not make a gurgling sound and you will minimize the sound going over your weir.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I’ll do some more research and probably buy two unions and a gate valve.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to adjust the overflow height so that just a trickle is going down your emergency drain. It will not make a gurgling sound and you will minimize the sound going over your weir.
I have already added a longer piece and nothing goes down my emergency. Yet it is pretty difficult to adjust and sometimes the water makes it all the way up to the top and going down the emergency.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to make it clear that I don't want to cut out the unions from the ball valve. I just want to get the other half and put it on each side of the valve.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the difference between that and what I'm using? I heard that gates are better for other plumbing but not that well for overflows as it's hard to adjust flow.

I think just a fast comment without reading the entire post. You are thinking about it the right way, gate valve will give you much more control.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a few different posts on the forum over the last few years asking of a True Union Gate Valve exists, and all seem to say NO. It's easy enough to make with a standard gate valve, and 2 true unions.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On another topic, the reason for adding unions to the gate valve have also been discussed, and there isn't a good reason, so it's more of a question to the reason for the unions. If it's to clean the gate valve, good quality ones like spears can be disassembled and gate removed for cleaning, so the need for the union should be minimal.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, yes I saw that. Not all ball valves are of the same quality. A garbage ball valve from home depot is not the same as a cepex one. Just throwing out options for OP.

Thanks for following up. I used highest end ball valves in the past (Spears, etc) and although they indeed are great and stable over time, gate valves are so much more precise I find many good applications for them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to make it clear that I don't want to cut out the unions from the ball valve. I just want to get the other half and put it on each side of the valve.

That may be hard to do. Unfortunately the diameter and threading of various true union ball valves are not the same. Nor are all ball valves created equally. Cheaper ones are typically harder to turn - as you are finding. The Cepex ball valves linked earlier are top quality, but I can tell you just from your picture that the unions will not match.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back