Replacing Hardwood Floor

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, got distracted during my ATO top off and ended up with ~15-20 gallons of RODI on the hardwood floors (engineered). Unfortunately, they bucked pretty bad, and this is the third area to get water damager (2x my fault, once refrigerator water line leak).

It looks like we have 2 options.

1. Use ceramic tile we already have and have the floor laid with it. It is the plank type tile that looks like wood.

2. Buy LVP flooring and have it professionally installed. I know I can lay it, but given the water history, I think a pro would do a better job and make sure all the locking is correct.

Is there a third option?

In the living room we have my 92 corner reef, 40 breeder frag tank and a 90 gallon + sump freshwater angelfish tank.

I'm conflicted as the tile is probably the best choice, but that's several days of having the tanks tore down while the tile is laid. However, once laid, it would be 100% waterproof/resistent. However, the flooring covers the main entrance and exits, so we'll be stuck using the in law suite doors for egress until the floor is walkable. So big inconvenience.

The LVP gives a quick easy floor that should be laid in < 1 day so the tanks are down an absolute minimum. However, while the LVP is waterproof/resistant, it is not at the level of the tile.

Since I already own the tile, the cost for the job is about even.

Thoughts/recommendations?

IMG_0295.jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything today that can look like anything else (tile look like wood, wood look like tile, fabricated look like anything), Go with what your favorite is.

Because you are in the south more, I would vote tile. Mainly because it is more safe with our tanks, but also cooler on the feet and house.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the opportunity of having to move your tank(s) as a good excuse for a giant Spring Cleaning / tank “reset”, right down to the rocks and sand? I know that it’s small by comparison, but we are getting ready for a living room remodel and my 20 gallon AIO has to be moved. I’m going to look at it as a good thing; to get back to ‘squeaky clean.’

AquaBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my reef DT overflowed or spilled several times I replaced my floor with tile that looks like wood. Not the real thing but just as pretty and far easier to keep. I used the excuse to upgrade my tank. The installation took longer than promised and I lost some tank mates when the tank was moved to allow for the new floor. I used professionals for the floor and I should have used professionals to move the tank. Lesson learned. Tile has proven to be an excellent choice.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lvp flooring where my tanks are and it is wonderful. Ive had some spills of 3-4 gallons and nothing happened. If professionally installed correctly it is water proof. and is very very resistant stuff.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My floors went through a 50g flood twice in a month and many before. We are looking at flooring also at some point soon. :rolleyes::face-with-hand-over-mouth::loudly-crying-face:

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, got distracted during my ATO top off and ended up with ~15-20 gallons of RODI on the hardwood floors (engineered). Unfortunately, they bucked pretty bad, and this is the third area to get water damager (2x my fault, once refrigerator water line leak).

It looks like we have 2 options.

1. Use ceramic tile we already have and have the floor laid with it. It is the plank type tile that looks like wood.

2. Buy LVP flooring and have it professionally installed. I know I can lay it, but given the water history, I think a pro would do a better job and make sure all the locking is correct.

Is there a third option?

In the living room we have my 92 corner reef, 40 breeder frag tank and a 90 gallon + sump freshwater angelfish tank.

I'm conflicted as the tile is probably the best choice, but that's several days of having the tanks tore down while the tile is laid. However, once laid, it would be 100% waterproof/resistent. However, the flooring covers the main entrance and exits, so we'll be stuck using the in law suite doors for egress until the floor is walkable. So big inconvenience.

The LVP gives a quick easy floor that should be laid in < 1 day so the tanks are down an absolute minimum. However, while the LVP is waterproof/resistant, it is not at the level of the tile.

Since I already own the tile, the cost for the job is about even.

Thoughts/recommendations?

IMG_0295.jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg
I had a flood and had to have floor replaced myself. Don't know what base you have ceramic good but grout would be my concern. My floor is laminate know with a waterproof glue down first. Things have come a long way. Mine is not wood composite all vinyl almost quarter inch thick. My installer so impressed is going to use it in his home

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what you like, nothing is bulletproof with water. I had 6 month old bamboo hardwood which was wrecked by plumber and his flood. Huge mess, flooring company had to get a ripper in here to get it out. That flooring installed by big box company. Next flooring was installed by flooring company, hickory hardwood. Wood and water don’t mix. At least plumbing is covered under house ins. I don’t wish to do that mess again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back