Replacing Marine Pure Bio Blocks

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when I originally set the tank up two years ago, I didn't use any live/dry rock.
the scape is completely fabricated using pvc and two part putty.
I figured at start up I needed additional area for bacteria. so I used 5 of the 8x8x4 Marine Pure Blocks.
I hadn't seen the reviews about aluminum leaching, I didn't really look (bad bad bad), figuring BRS sold them so they must be ok.
I haven't had my water tested. figure I don't need to as the tests have been done by others.
so while a lot of stuff goes really well in my tank, other stuff doesn't. I keep mostly easy stuff. leathers, shrooms, zoas, a few monti's, and blasto's.
some stuff did well for close to a year and then crashed in a week. aluminum absorption/overdose?
don't know.
but, I will be removing the blocks.
so here's the question, (long winded to get here... I know), do I need to replace them with something else in the sump? or is there enough going on in the DT?
and if I do need to replace them, is there a safe synthetic alternative?
thanks
Mike
:cool:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider doing an ICP type test first so see if your asumptions are correct? If you do remove them then adding some live rock to sump for bacteria growth area?

I've been using then for over two years no issues I can tell.

Algae barn also sells them and recommends them as well

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the blocks are the main source of bioload i would replace them with clean dry rock.
I would recomend one block a month untill there gone.
I dont know you have an issue because of the Marine Pure blocks and leaching out aluminum.

You said you dont test so I am wondering how you know your aluminum is high?

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the blocks are the main source of bioload i would replace them with clean dry rock.
I would recomend one block a month untill there gone.
I dont know you have an issue because of the Marine Pure blocks and leaching out aluminum.

You said you dont test so I am wondering how you know your aluminum is high?
apparently it's a given situation if you use them.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a picture of the tank so we can assess it?
052120.jpg

150 Tall

all hollow (pvc)
IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from marinepure to pond matrix 2-3 years ago. Worked well, but difficult to get flow into. I'm currently just using live rock and the pond matrix is in storage. You might want to consider a triton test to confirm Aluminum was the cause.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparently it's a given situation if you use them.
I believe there may be something to the aluminum leaching. I've had two 8x8x4 blocks in my 220 mixed reef for a few years now. I get an ICP test every six months. The aluminum is always high. That being said, I'm not sure there is any negative affect but it's certainly possible. I actually have 50lb of base rock soaking right now that I will be adding to my sump to replace the MP blocks. It will be interesting to see if the aluminum reading goes down on my next ICP test.

Screenshot_2020-05-26 (2 unread) - agiffey rocketmail com - Yahoo Mail.png

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there may be something to the aluminum leaching. I've had two 8x8x4 blocks in my 220 mixed reef for a few years now. I get an ICP test every six months. The aluminum is always high. That being said, I'm not sure there is any negative affect but it's certainly possible. I actually have 50lb of base rock soaking right now that I will be adding to my sump to replace the MP blocks. It will be interesting to see if the aluminum reading goes down on my next ICP test.

Screenshot_2020-05-26 (2 unread) - agiffey rocketmail com - Yahoo Mail.png

But how is your tank?
Can you post a picture?
Some of the metals and elements probably do harm and others do not.
It will be years before we learn these things.
The advent of ICP testing is a reefing milestone, but IMO I feel we do not yet know how to interpret the knowledge as its so new.

Ten years from now there will be posts about how old school it was to worry about Aluminum (In this case) or Tin that always seems to be high compared to natural sea water.
ICP testing is in the early stages so at this time it gives us information that brings more questions and concerns over answers.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank Is fine. I wasn’t suggesting that aluminum is bad (or good for that matter) for reef inhabitants. Only that it is elevated and I have marine pure blocks in my system. The reason I’m replacing my blocks is more about them breaking apart every time they get touched. I just think it will be interesting if the aluminum levels drop when they are removed.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank! Can you buy live rock to replace them? That's what I'd do.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote will always be to junk the marine pure, I do not see the point of such fragile media in your sump ;Wacky

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to share my info also. I just bought a new 150 and transferred my water, sand, liverock, and bio blocks. I set it up a month ago and just texted ICP and my Tin is through the roof. I'm also thinking it is from the bioblocks because of the rumors I've heard. What can tin damage?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin, the great unknown. IMO.
I did some research but found very little information on what effect it has on fish and Corals.
Or I just did not dig deep enough.

The research I found was more on ICP test and its accuracy on tin readings. I came to the conclution that for tin its not so accurate and will show higher levels that actual.

We assume that as seawater does not have high tin levels our tank water should not as well.
ICP testing is new to the hobby along with its results.
I feel it will be a long while to get through the learning curve.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP testing should be thought of as just another tool we can use, not the savior of the reef tank.
As stated there is just sooooo much we don't know about.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back