Replacing marine pure in sump/no3 issues

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight, wanting to be sure my heater was not buried in the sump chamber, I dug around in the sump to locate it and of course, it was partly buried under media bags etc. Freed it up--should try to stick it to the sides of the sump maybe--horizontal of course. And noticed there is a lot of gunk down there. Granted, some is still the real fine sand that got sucked down while i was replacing sand. I had vacuumed all water out in sept. but I hadn't emptied the skimmer side of sump of the media bags and marine pure. I am thinking this area is part of my no3 issues (removed all sand from the refugium area).

So I plan to remove all media bags (will put them back in-all are only weeks old). Some have phosguard or purigen, some have rubble, some are bio bead type media. I also have a large stack of marine pure. So will take it all out, put in a bucket to save any copepods, and vacuum out that side and get it clean. Noticed there is fine sand in the pump area so will try to get that too.

Question is, do the blocks of marine pure need replacing? Probably at least a year old. Or even 1.5 years. Or do I just put back. Or take out half? And order more? Really want to try to get my no3 down.

I've done probably a 100 % water change since September., doing 20-25% weekly, changing socks weekly. Food gets eaten immediately when I feed--the fish are little piggies! So I don't think it's overfeeding--I do feed heavy.

So is marine pure something that should be replaced every so often?

No3 was over 160. Down to 40-80 now. PO4 was 1.43 and now at .36.

edit: I put the marine pure in sump Jan 2020 so not a year.... Just feels like it....

Last edited:

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my marine pure block in my sump since start-up a little over 4 years ago with no issue. Have never moved it or rinsed it to clean it out from any detritus build up In fact just the opposite, I removed it a few weeks ago and started dosing nitrate to actually raise my levels as my nitrate has been undetectable using the red sea pro nitrate test kit. I did see in another thread where people have recommended cleaning it out on occasion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I leave my marine pure where it is. If it gets slimy, a light rinse is all that’s needed
Chemipure elite will reduce pho’s and nitrate and keep it in check

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back