Replacing my Gen 5 Radions

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you didn't have to change MH bulbs every year. Also wish they were more convently dimmable. The light they produce is just better then anything else..

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thoughts: AI 32's or 16's may give you more flexibility. With 32's, you could use the DX18 dimmable and add T5's for additional coverage (my current setup). Or instead of T5's you could choose an LED strips. Also, 32's or 16's allow you to replace a puck or entire lamp easier, faster and cheaper. Caveat is the 16's do cost more up front.

I could have purchased Radions, but chose to go with Hydra 32hd's. I like the puck design over the more spread out individual LEDs. The pucks remind me of my metal halide.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving on from my Gen 5 Radion pro's. I have narrowed down my new lights between the AI 64 HD's and Kessils.
My tank is 48x24x30 wide. The lights will be mounted 12 to 14" above the water so it will be almost 36" to the bottom of the tank.

I spoke to kessil and they said I can get away with 3x 360x with reflectors or the A500x. Big price jump between the 2! The AI's are made to mount high and in my opinion, have a better look to the eye than the Radion's.

My current setup is 2 xr 30 pro's mounted sideways and a xr15 pro in the middle. My tank will be LPS low (euphyllia, duncans, zoe's) and sticks mid to high in the tank.
I have a few options I need opinions on.
Option 1: 2x hydra 64 mounted sideways and a Hydra 32 in the middle
Option 2 : 3x Kessil A360x with 50mm reflector- may add 2 reef bright strips later.
Option 3: 2x A500x with 50mm reflectors with A360 in the middle or a 3rd A500x for the middle- may add 2 reef bright strips later

The Radions are really nice lights but to "flat" in my opinion. I actually like the look of the Gen 4 Radions better.
My opinion and what I’m using is 4 xr (15 blue though)sporadically placed over the tank to cover the whole area rather than being confined to having two lights in one with the xr 30s and basically over covering the same spot . I wouldn’t get rid of what you have especially since their not cheap but add to it . If you like the shimmer of the a300xs look just turn the xr 30 to front and back and add a a300x in between and see if that will accomplish your goals before throwing the kid out with the bath water as so to speak

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back